Search

Family trip to NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to NYC

Planning a trip to NYC 1st week of Aug. Family of seven 5 girls, 12, 15,16,19,22. Arriving at LaGuardia, leaving from Newark. What is the best way to get to Mid-town from Airport? And back to Newark? Home much would a Limo be? Planning on staying at Roosevelt Hotel for about 120 a night. 170 1st two nights, 20 for 3rd for six nights. Any opinions on the hotel choice? Other suggestions?

Old May 21st, 2004, 06:48 PM
GoTravel

I hope you have at the very minimum two hotel rooms. Hotel rooms in Manhattan are notoriously small and two double beds in a room is not standard.

Call Tel-Aviv for a car service. I have always had good luck with them.

The Staten Island Ferry is free and it is the best way to see the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:21 AM
Rob

LGA TO HOTEL
2 Taxis - about $60 tip and toll included
2 cars from a car service - about $70 tip and toll included -
Van from car service - about $110 tip and toll included (would be 14 passenger van)
Stretch limo - about $125
FROM HOTEL TO EWR
Car service - two cars about $110 tip and toll included (about $43 a car)
Van - at least $125 tip and toll included
Air train or airport bus - probably a bit more than two cars from a car service when you factor in cost of two taxis from hotel to Port Authority or Penn STation.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:15 AM

As for the hotel I would try priceline. We went last august (family of four) and I got rooms at the Hilton for $95 each. August is very low season so you could expect some success. This year I got rooms at the Roosevelt for mid-June for $100 a night. If your post is still here I'll let you know how it is when I get back. As far as things to do; one of the absolute best is a bicycle tour of central park. We took one last year and it was the best way to see the park. centralparkbiketours.com. We went on a Sunday morning and it was fabulous. I would recommend getting there early to get your choice of bikes. Also circle line boat tours.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:10 AM

My family is planning a NYC trip late July. First, I discover that we're brave and/or stupid to visit NYC during July. Oh well, it's the only block of time we have and I've already paid for tickets for a musical revue. So...

Now I'm discovering that NYC really is a different animal altogether when it comes to hotels. I usually know what to expect from a 2 star or 3 star hotel in the Southeast. 3 stars are usually nice, clean, comfortable, roomy and offer good online prices. 2 stars are iffy, so I steer clear of them. 4 stars are only if I'm planning on spending a lot of time at the Resort, which is what a 4 star usually is here.

Reading reviews of NYC hotels, however, has me totally befuddled. It doesn't sound as though there really are any roomy, "nice" hotel rooms unless you're wealthy? If the Waldorf is getting bad reviews as well as other 4 and 5 star properties, then I'm not sure that I want to stay in NYC. Perhaps Jersey or Brooklyn?
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:38 AM
GoTravel

Geez, the LAST thing you want to do is stay in Brooklyn or New Jersey if you are sightseeing in Manhattan.

The time, energy, and cost of the commute would be a big pain in the butt.

NYC hotel rooms are on the small side. If you want a big room at a luxury hotel, you are going to shell out some big $$$$.

Go with a chain like the Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, Doubletree, or Renaissance.

Old May 25th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! The problem with Priceline, is I have 7! Since PL only guarantees 2 in a room ... I would consider, and probably should, go with three rooms, but not 4! So at leat 1 room would need two beds.

If I go the PL route, what zone and rating should I go after? Roosevelt is a 3*in MTE, Hilton a 4*in MTW. So bid on 3* and 4* in MTW and MTE. I guess I should go to biddingfortravel for assistance!

Or should I go after a suite (or 2) at Beekman or Time Sq apts? Would be nice to at least have a frig.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:46 PM
GoTravel

Stealth, Do not try and bid on hotel rooms in Manhattan thinking that you can get a room with two beds.

Old May 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel! So Priceline is Out. Have the Roosevelt for now at an average of 129 a night. But saw posts about Super 8, Comfort Inn, Red Roof Inn. Any of those as good as as the Roosevelt? Esp, with a family? I think some of the rooms at the Super 8 have Frigs, which would be nice!