NYC theater district hotel, airport transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting NYC and will be dining at a nice restaurant near the Theater District, Times Square, etc (150 block of West 51st Street between 6th & 7th Ave). Figure we might as well stay near the restaurant (walking distance) so have a list of hotels mostly under $300 within 1/4 mile (per Priceline search).

Any feedback on these places? Or are all pretty similar? In addition to < $300/night we also need workout facilities (elliptical and weights) to work off the caloric overload, and hopefully a quiet place to sleep.

Also, is a taxi the easiest way to get from EWR to this area? How expensive? What are the other transport options?

Here are some hotels Priceline kicked up, arranged by distance from the restaurant.

(hotel name) (distance in miles) (price) (# stars) (guest rating)

Manhattan Hotel At Times Square .03 $251 3* 7.4/10
Michelangelo Hotel .06 $378 4* 9.2/10
Flatotel .07 $260 ?* 7.7/10
Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers .09 $287 4* 7.5/10

Amsterdam Court Hotel .12 $251 ?* 6/10
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan .12 $279 4* 8.5/10
Mayfair Hotel .16 $172 2* 7.2/10
Time Hotel .17 $242 3.5* 7.5/10

Ameritania Hotel .18 $237 ?* 8.6/10
Stay .2 $224 3* 7/10
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North .2 $288 2.5* 8.6/10
Dream .21 $296 3.5* 7.6/10

Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square-New York City .21 $295 3.5* 9.1/10
Manhattan Centre Hotel (Formerly Rockefeller Center Hotel) .25 $294 3.5* 7.4/10
Park Central New York .25 $259 3* 7.2/10
Warwick New York .25 $290 4* 8.6/10

Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM

We've stayed at the Flatotel and Doubletree Suites and liked them both.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM

EWR is in New Jersey (a different state from NYC). A taxi that can give you a ride from EWR is licensed NJ taxi will charge a large additional fee for the trip since it cannot return to NJ from NYC with a return fare--it must return empty.

Instead of a regular taxi, you can order a car service-- like Carmel, Dial 7s, or Allstate--for the trip to NYC. These services will have better rates for the trip since they can carry fares either way across state lines.

Best public transportation would be the Airport Bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal at 8th Ave and 42nd St, and then walk, subway, or taxi from there.

Shuttle services like SuperShuttle are not recommended since you can spend extra hours making numerous stops all over Manhattan to drop off the various riders.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 03:52 PM

I've stayed at the Amsterdam Court, it is not worth $251 + tax a night. If you want to stay there search for a better deal (maybe quikbook.com) and do not book a standard room, they are beyond tiny and some haven't been renovated. Go for the upgraded room and you'll be fine. Also make your own arrangments for transportation do not make them via the hotel desk (long story).
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Car service from EWR to Times Square wil be i the region of $60 to $70 and you must pay tunnel toll and tip the driver - 20% is usual.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:18 AM

When is this for? These prices look very high but prices are high in May. I would check prices on quikbook.com and kayak.com

It sounds like you're eating at Le Bernardin. Closest (and very nice) hotels to that are
the Michelangelo
the London
the Blakely

The other hotels I'd consider on your list are the Hampton Inn Times Square North, the Warwick, possibly the Flatotel and the Doubletree Guest Suites. The Doubletree Guest Suites has been coming up on Hotwire. You should check there. You can tell it's the Doubletree if it's in Times Square area, 4* and has an "s" icon for suites.

From Newark, either take a private car service as recommended (I like dial7.com) which will be ~$65-70 including tip and tolls or use the Express Airport bus to Port Authority for $15/person and either walk or take a taxi from there to the hotel.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd do the Hampton Inn and order a car from Carmel.

Book 'em Dano!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

The airport bus to Port Authority - 42 St & 8th Av. - is $25 RT per person, when you purchase a RT ticket; otherwise it's $15 each way. If you don't mind doing a little schlepping, you can probably walk to most of the hotels on your list from there.

Carmel car service is showing $47 for Newark/Manhattan, plus toll and tip. The Lincoln Tunnel toll is $8 per vehicle. A 15% tip is sufficient. There may be an extra fee for meeting you inside the terminal or for waiting time so check that out.

Don't take a taxi, b/c as ellenem said, they usually double the fare b/c the ride is interstate.

I don't know if you've ever been to NY, but I'd advise against staying right in Times Sq. It's very touristy and tacky. You're better off in the 50's, closer to the restaurant. It's a much nicer area. I've heard nice things about the Michelangelo. The Warwick is old, but I'm pretty sure it's been refurbished.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 07:03 AM

IMO the Hampton Inn Times Square North is the perfect location and especially for what you describe.

It's at the corner of W 51st and 8th Ave with the subway, a cyber cafe, Food Emporium and lots of restaurant options with a block or two. Short walk to many Broadway theatres but not in the middle of the Times Square craziness. I used to stay in an apartment at Worldwide Plaza and NeoPatrick spent a month there I believe. There are many who would disagree, but for a short visit in the ciy when you want to see/do a lot of the touristy things, IMO it's the best location I can think of. I love Hampton Inns too. If I were paying for a moderate hotel in NYC, it's the one I would choose.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Since you are open to so many hotels, I suggest bidding on Priceline. I just got the Marriott Marquis (3 1/2*)for $174 per night; the price on their website is $399, and the only thing I could find for under $200 was the Portland Square.

In NYC, rather than working out in a hotel gym, I'd take a fast walk--so much more interesting, IMHO.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I've taken a taxi from Newark (not sure why the reference to Jersey City) to mid-town Manhattan and was not charged any extra for the "return". It cost about $60.00 a couple of years ago.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM

sf7307,

Was that a metered fare or a set fare?
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, it's a big help.

Taxi vs private car ... thanks for the heads-up, would not have figured a private car was cost competitive with a taxi. Sounds like $70 or so for the car, still not clear on the taxi cost. If the cost is similar wouldn't it be simpler to flag a taxi instead of calling the car company? Some of the review sites complain about having to call and then wait a long time for the car ... or is this uncommon? We'll be arriving around 5 PM so I'd guess traffic is a mess.

Narrowing it down on hotels ...

Down to these 5 hotels in this order, all with Q's:

Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North (looks fine, a bit quieter location ... pic of exercise room shows only treadmills ... anyone know if they have weights too? If so this is probably our pick)

Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers (fits requirements, no one on Fodors mentioned it though ... some reviews complain of noise and older rooms? Lower user ratings on Priceline than others.)

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan (fits requirements, no one on Fodors mentioned it though ... have to pay to use exercise room at 'peak times' ... when are peak times?)

Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square-New York City (looks fine but on-line rate is now $350, is it worth $60-70 more than Sheraton or Crowne Plaza?)

Michelangelo Hotel (looks perfect except rate on web site is now $498 instead of $378 for our nights, so probably out)
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:08 AM

It was metered.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM

The others are in the midst of the craziness that is Times Square. Anything on or between Broadway and 7th is going to be a madhouse.

I agree with abram. Get out and walk in NYC. If you are worried an exercise room won't have weights, travel with an exercise band. I can't imagine they won't have free weights, but call the hotel to ask.

From EWR, I'd take a car service. You make a reservation with them and then call when you have retrieved your luggage. They alert a driver and one will stop by to pick you up. The wait is rarely more than a few minutes. At LGA I grab a cab, but I agree that a car service is a great option coming from EWR. Check the website for info -
http://www.carmellimo.com/
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 01:41 PM

During rush hour I'd never consider a metered taxi, when flat-rate car service is available. You can make the reservation online. There may even be a discount (code) available.

On arrival, once luggage collected, call their 800#, advise what you're wearing, and they'll advise where you should meet the vehicle... often the last entry/exit door of the terminal. Easy enough.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM

The Sheraton is woefully outdated and will be renovated. The work may already have started. I would avoid it. You never gave exact dates so can't help with prices but you seem to be discounting looking at other websites for pricing. Priceline is usually no cheaper on their regular booking site than anyone else.

There's nothing wrong with the Hampton Inn, but unless it's much cheaper, I'd go with the Crowne Plaza which is recently renovated and offers views.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM

If you're coming in during rush hour the traffic can drive the taxi fare sky high. BUT, the car services usually don;t honor discounts during those areas. From EWR there are a reasonable number of cabs - but not as many hundreds of NYC cabs you would get at LGA or JFK - since nYC can't pick up in Jersey.

When I have a car service pick me up I just tell them the flight number and they have a car waiting - but the "meet and greet" is much more than calling the service as you get off the plane (but the company is paying). If it's my $ I just grab a cab - but avoid EWR.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Bill..
Knowing how you roll, I would do the town car service with either Carmel or Dial7..

Have you thought about staying midtown?
Benjamin Hotel is a gorgeous place and across from the Waldorf.
Usually they have great deals..classic luxury hotel.
We have gotten deals under $300 and they have living rooms/kitchen suites.

Do try and have cocktails at the Campbell Apartment at Grand Central..its a classic, just like you!
Are you dining anywhere special?

www.hospitalityholdings.com
www.thebenjamin.com
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Are you dining anywhere special?

Going to be a little and have dinner first at Jean Georges and next night at Le Bernardin. Knocking off those Forbes/Mobil Five Stars two at a time.

This explains why I need a place with good exercise gear, so I can burn thru an extra 1,200 calories each day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -