Family staying in NewYork

Old Jan 12th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family staying in NewYork

Hey Guys my Aussie family is going to New York
We are a family of 5 (2 Adults 3 Kids 9, 8, 4)
Just wondering what is the best places to visit and what are the hidden gems
Any help would be great
Thanks Heaps
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:33 PM

Where in New York?

what kind of activities are you looking for?

How long will you be here?

When?

You need to give us a lot more information....
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
New York State?
New York City?
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Have you seen the gems that are not so hidden?
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Have you been there before? IMDonehere makes a good point. If you've never done the major things, why skip them in favor of the "hidden" ones?
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 04:20 PM

What time of year - it will make a big difference.

How long will you be here?

Do you have lodging yet? With 5 people you will need a suite and should get started on reservations as soon a your dates are fixed so as to have the best chance of discounts. I would look at the Beacon Hotel on the upper west side is modestly priced, has a number of suites and is right near the Park and the Museum of Natural History.

there are numerous places where you can get info on what to do with kids in NYC. If it were me I would want to stay near Central Park so the kids have some running around/playground time each day.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Opps sorry guys need to be a little more specific
We are arriving in July and we have never been to New York before
We will be staying in Manhattan and are going to be staying 10 nights
We are looking at booking a studio apartment around 8th and 43rd street
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 03:46 AM

Most apartment rentals in New York for less than 30 days are not legal so please look at hotels instead of the studio you mentioned. There are apartment/hotels which you should look for instead.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 04:05 AM

The city is currently cracking down on these illegal sublets (essentially anything less than 30 days) and you might well arrive to find the apt you have "rented" not available.

To avoid any such problems you should look at hotels with suites - since more than 4 people per room is not allowed by fire laws.

Check out Radio City Apartments (a hotel/apt), the Beacon and the hotels in the Affinia Group (many converted from former apartment houses). If you are staying for 10 nights the hotels may well offer a discount. Also many have significantly discounted rates if you pay in advance.

These are all in the modest/moderate price range and generally well-regarded.

Also, Hell's Kitchen is not a place I would stay with 3 kid given the limited availability of anyplace for them to run around/use a playground. Trying to ignore this can make for 3 very cranky kids, esp in the heat of July.
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 01:40 PM

>

Not an area for a family with three hobbits. Way busy.

As others have said, generally you CANNOT book apartments for < 30 days in New York City. Anything you see on VRBO or Airbnb or similar is likely illegal. Do not travel 9000 miles and get stuck with an unenforceable rental contract.

>

There is entirely too much information out there for you not to do some homework on this. Considering how you know your family and your halflings better than we do, you should check out whatever seems interesting and come back here with a list of "is ___ worthwhile for us" questions.

Note that the local sport with a bat and ball is called baseball and it involves strategy, skill, athletic ability of some sort, the game will actually end in less than three days, and the players neither wear sweaters nor get credit for runs by hitting the ball behind them. There are two major league teams in NYC now that the Mets have regained the ability to play with quality.

Enjoy.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 02:31 AM

We r here now...freezing! -6C

Your little ones might like the m and m store and Central Park has lots of things for kids to do
The highlinevwalk might be good too
We r going to look at going to the Central Park zoo and the Bronx zoo

My kids are 19 and 22 but I still have to consider that their interests will be different from mine in some respects

Be prepared for long flight from Syd
And our connection to ny from max was delayed ..we arrived in. Ny three hours late

Cost 69$ usd for cab..walk out and get the yellow cabs and ignore the hasslers inside the airport..the tip can be paid by credit card too..it's all done in the back of the cab ...Tip was worked out too so that was included in that fare..standard $52usd ride from airport

We arrived at Westin hotel times sq 9 pm and had been travelling from 7 am ..(left home that is) same morning lol...it's a hard trip so be warned..it will be another 4 1/2 hrs flight from la to ny and our connection was two hours late!

Anyway...

We might do an onboard bus tour...you get a guide who comes with u to the sights unlike the hop on/ off bus tours
That's good to get you oriented and might help with getting us out of the weather today

It was so cold last night..so windy you could barely look at anything cos you were protecting your whole face from the stinging wind! We only had it to maccas and headed back lol
Strawb thick shakes are great and only 80 c usd
We r basically adding another half to everything we buy
My daughter had a pretzel the size of her head for $2 usd and got another for me for an extra buck
The kids will eat cheaply lol!
We are keen to try to find some bagel places round here...try some soul food in Harlem at Sylvia's ..eat pancakes

I hope you all have a blast!

I've been up since330am..hope my kids start stirring soon...I'm pumped!
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:11 AM

Yes, NYC finally has a seasonable winter weather (Nov and Dec were very weirdly warm). But in July you will get hot and probably humid - don't plan on anything cold except indoors (some places really have the AC cranked up).
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of booking a room through AirB&B but by the sounds of everyones posts this would not be a good idea
We are finding it really hard to get a nice hotel with kitchen facilities for a reasonable price. I realize we have a family of 5 and we are staying in New York but i thought we should be able to get a good standard room for $400
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM

You need to start checking on line to see what the cost would be for an apartment/hotel that can accommodate 5. Then you can figure out what your budget will be. Before you do that it makes no sense to come up with a nightly figure.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:44 PM

With 5 people you need a suite - fire laws won;t allow 5 people in a regular room. Have you looked at Radio City Apts and the Beacon. They have a bunch of suites and the former at least should be quite reasonable.

Just checked and the Beacon seems to have the best prices - and if you contact them you might get a better rate if you have a longer stay.

Your other option is to look at hotels in Long Island City. This is only about 10 minutes by subway from Manhattan - just be sure the place you pick is very close to a subway.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Not exactly a hidden gem...but it is a gem nonetheless...The Cloisters!

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/20950-2/

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 08:22 AM

A quick look at the Country Inns/Suites in Long Island City shows a suite for 5 at around $200 per night. This includes a bedroom with 2 doubles and a sofa bed in the LR area. Not familiar with the hotel myself but you might want to search tripadvisor for LIC properties.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 08:24 AM

Sorry - you might want to reserve this and then check if any deals pop up in Manhattan closer to the date. BUT, usually you should get hotels in Manhattan at least 2 months in advance or so to avoid the highest rates.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM

We loved The Beacon Hotel. Its location can't be beat, with a huge market across the street to grab food and snacks for the family. Subway stop less than a block away. Tribute to John Lennon in Central Park is about two blocks away.

Many restaurants within blocks.

Their two bdrm/two bath suite would be perfect for you. Two double beds, one king bed, a sofa sleeper.

Full kitchen, eating area and small sitting room. Coffee is provided by the hotel, and you can request more.

http://www.beaconhotel.com
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 04:50 PM

Our family of 5 really enjoyed the location and space offered at the Best Western Hospitality House. Free breakfast, full kitchen, two bedrooms plus a den with a sofa. Only one bathroom, but plenty of space to spread all out. Convenient location - we walked to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, 5th Ave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information