Search

Fam. of 5 To Manhattan from Philly

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fam. of 5 To Manhattan from Philly

Hello,

Will be in Philly for a conference in June then plan to drive to the Jersey Shore and then to Manhattan for a night or 2. We don't intend to drive into Manhattan and need advice on how to get into there with 5 people (3 kids) all with a suitcase and a backpack each at least. What do we do with our car? What form of transportation would be easiest with all of us and our luggage? We are flexible on the order of events - Manhattan or New Jersey can be first after Philly.

Would the train from Philly to Manhattan and then back make sense? And then rent a car to NJ? Is the train relatively easy with luggage? We don't have hotel reserv. yet, how far into Manht. does the train go?

Helpless here! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
yk

How old are the kids?

Train from Philadelphia to NYC and back on Amtrak can add up quickly $$$-wise.

Another train option is the SEPTA/NJ Transit combo which is much cheaper, but I don't think I'll recommend it in your situation w/3 kids + luggage.

If you add up the Amtrak fare for 5 r/t, it may be a wash (or even cheaper) to drive into Manhattan and park at the hotel there. Then you don't have to backtrack to Philadelphia and can go straight to Jersey shore.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
yk

BTW, the trains to Manhattan stop at Penn Station.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM

If its really just a night or 2, then yk is right. It is probably easiest and most cost effective to rent a car, and drive right into Manhatten and park at the hotel.

Train fare for 5 will add up. Then, once you get to Penn station you need to get a taxi to your hotel, and with 5 people and luggage, probably 2 taxis. I really think you'll be better off driving. Count on spending $35-40/night to park.

It gives you flexibility too, do the shore before or after, it doesn't matter.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM

If you travel off-peak, NJ Transit offers free fare for kids under 12 traveling with an adult. That would cover Trenton to Penn Station. You could take Septa from Phila to Trenton. I don't know if they have a similar deal. Even without the free kids deal, it's a lot cheaper than Amtrak.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I don't know whether this car is a rental or your own and you don't say why you don't want to drive into Manhattan. Many people are intimidated by the idea of driving in NYC or worry about the expense. If this is your own car, it's really simplest, esp. for a night or 2 to drive it into Manhattan, park in an iconparking.com garage near your hotel. You'll save quite a bit on train fare and it will be a lot more convenient.

Otherwise, there are cheap buses b/w NYC and Phil., but if it's your own car, then you have to go back to Phil. Where do you live?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM
yk

mclaurie -

I think the OP is referring to a rental car.

< Will be in Philly for a conference in June >

< And then rent a car to NJ? >

Bus is an option - Greyhound runs from Philadelphia's Chinatown to NYC Port Authority. I would not recommend the cheap Chinatown buses though... my parents took it once and they had a really bad experience.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:04 PM

With all those people and all that luggage I would just drive to your hotel in Manhattan, drop the people and luggage and then dump the car. Any other option is going to be more expensive and a major pain in the a** to deal with it all on stairways and long passageways in train and subway stations.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, admittedly afraid to drive in NYC, but if we stay in Lower Manhattan then it shouldn't be too bad - ? You've all convinced us that it's too expensive and a hastle (which I pretty much already knew) to try to take alternative modes of transport. with all of us and our stuff.

Thanks to all! Now for a hotel in lower Manhattan...
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I'd suggest the Travel Inn on W42nd St as probably a good option for you, as it is easy to get to right out of the Lincoln Tunnel, and you get free parking there. The hotel is close to lots of things to see and do, and transportation around the city as well.

The hotel even has a rooftop pool which the kids will love after a day of trapsing around the city. There are lots of restaurants close to the hotel for sandwiches and there is a snack shop right at the hotel.

Have FUN while you are here.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Why not drive? Manhattan sounds intimidating but is not if you avoid the peak hours. Parking is going to cost you $45 - $55 per day but you are only going to be there two days.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:07 AM

I don't think you have to limit yourself to lower Manhattan just b/c of the car, but if you'd like to stay there, the Embassy Suites is very family friendly and a good option for 5. The Marriott Financial Center may have good weekend rates if the 2 days falls on a weekend. The Travel Inn is the only hotel in Manhattan with free parking and it is close to the Lincoln Tunnel so requires minimal driving once you arrive. Not sure if they allow 5 to a room though.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM
yk

Driving in Manhattan is really not that bad at all. If you arrive in the evening (after rush hr) or on weekends, it is fairly simple. I'd suggest a hotel in mid-town West, close to Lincoln Tunnel. Mid-town East is OK too, but it may take a while to get across town.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Can you leave some of that luggage in the Philly hotel with the concierge where you will be at the conference while you take your trip to Manhattan? Maybe consolidate it into 1 larger piece of luggage and let the kids carry personal stuff in their backpacks. It could make your trip a lot easier. Bring a collapsible bag for souvenirs or to use at the NJ beaches.