fall foliage trip

Jul 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

fall foliage trip

can you help me? my best friend and i are planning our dream trip to see the leaves. time wise we wont be able to make it to maine thought maybe tenn or virginia we need places to stay,too has anyone tried these my friend of 40 years has just found out she has cancer this will probably be our last trip together and i want it to be great can anyone help thanks
Jul 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
LJ

While you don't have to go all the way to Maine, I think you may have to get to New England to be guaranteed the best of colour shows. I am thinking Vermont, New Hampshire, Upper New York State (the Adirondacks).

Given the precious use of your time with your friend, it might be best to be certain of the showing.
Jul 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

thank you ill check those out
Jul 29th, 2009, 01:03 PM
LJ

If you are thinking of New Hampshire, the area around Mount Washington is spectacular in the fall. A trip up the mountain is absolutely incredible with the colours at their peak.

Gorham is the nearest small town, with Berlin not too far away.
Jul 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
GBC

The Berkshires which stretch from western Conneticut up through western Massachuetts is a wonderful visit around Columbus Day. This includes towns such as New Preston, Litchfield, Cornwall, Lennox, Lee, Stockbridge and many more.

Some of these towns are medium sized, some are just villages. In these areas small inns and B&Bs are the way to go. The best of them fill up early for the key fall weekends and are busy during the week as well.

Does this sound appealing to you?
Jul 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM

There's a lovely town in NH, called Meredith. I spent alot of time there as a kid and always loved the scenery and the warmth of the people. There is an in that you might want to check out called Mill Falls (www.millfalls.com). It is actually 3 Inns in town, one right on Lake Winnepasaukie (spelling?).

It is not far from Old Man of the Mountain, Indian Head and The Flume. There are several good restaurants in the area and a bit of shopping. You can also take a cruise on the lake.

Sorry to hear this might be your last trip, so make the most of it.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM

Due to the huge amount of rain we have had this Summer I suspect any leaf-peepers who venture into the Tn./NC region will be most happy. October is the premium month. We always use vrbo.com for cabins/lodging.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM

We've driven the Blueridge Parkway in Virginia in mid October several times and it is truly a sight to behold. I concur with SanParis suggestion of Tn/NC region also...Asheville area too. Beautiful foliage.
Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

Also, so sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure this will be a special trip for both of you.
Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM

Here's an idea. Country magazine is filled with spectacular pictures every month and their Fall issues have a lot of leaf locations. Find (or order) a bunch of past issues and you can get some ideas of locations to take your friend to visit. Also, a decent camera will bring back some fabulous pictures for your friend's family.