Ideas for fall foliage in New England?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:56 AM
Bob

Ideas for fall foliage in New England?

It's my turn to plan our annual family get-together with my sister, brother, and our spouses, this fall in New England. I'm looking for where to go, where to stay, and what to do, for three couples in our early 50's. Is there a good "home base" for daily car excursions? What are good sources of ideas? What would you avoid? Sure appreciate your thots!! Thank you.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:06 AM
Donna

New England is rather large and the foliage moves rapidly, so your dates are critical in determining "home base". It's a bit late to be planning for THIS fall, so you'll want to firm up your dates and secure overnight accomodations forthwith. Generally speaking, the best foliage is in the Mountains: The White Mountains of NH, The Green Mountains of VT, the Berkshires in Western, MA, etc. There are any number of "home base" possibilities, with scenic drives in every direction. The best way to enjoy the foliage is to drive all over every day. I would avoid 1) North Conway, NH and environs (chock full of outlet junkies and traffic) and 2) the Kangamangus Highway (chock full of traffic and RV's).

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:09 AM
hi

Bob - You bring to mind a trip I have always wanted to do, but can't take the time off to do it.

I'd love to get a motorhome, and begin in northern Maine. I would "follow" the season of fall as it moves through Vermont, New York, the hills of Pennsylvania, and on southward through the Smokies. I'd love to hear what kinds of research you come up with.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:52 PM
jill

Check out Woodstock Vt.-good golf courses in area and days trip to Killington, Ludlow etc. 1811 House in Manchester VT. is great, Equinox Inn is lovely and Dorset Inn outside of Manchester is lovely.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:09 PM
Mark

Where to go will depend entirely upon your dates.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:26 AM
Fall

A secret...fly into Duluth, and go up to the Northwoods in Wisconsin. Some of the best colors, and unspoiled in many ways. American Indian reservations exist up there, so much is pristine and "preserved". Lakes aplenty, rent a pontoon, tour the lakes.

Simply beautiful. Try this website:

www.haywardlakes.com

Wherever you go, have fun!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:36 AM
Donna F

Yankee magazine has a website www.newengland.com that can help with your plans. A home base could depend on what you like to do. Tour a museum? Spend the day at the Medieval festival in MA? Take in a foliage festival? Some of the last agricultural fairs are on Columbus Day weekend (Sandwich NH). If you would like a foliage cruise, check out Lake Winnipesaukee in NH or Portsmouth NH harbor cruises. There are some in Maine as well and that would be a good break from driving.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:52 AM
sam

Go to Stowe Vermont. This place says New England in the Fall. You can go and see the Trapp family lodge too. It is lovely. There is so much to do and is so quaint. You will feel like you have gone back in time. I would say (being a New Englander) that you must see it by end of September or the Beginning of October to get the best foliage views.