To luau or not to luau, that is the question

Aug 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

To luau or not to luau, that is the question

Aloha, again, Fodorites!

We've been back & forth on the idea of spending the big bucks & doing a luau while we're in Kauai. From everything I've read, sounds like the Smith family is the way to go. The BIG question is whether or not a luau is worth the money. It seems like something you're "supposed to do" in Hawaii, but we just can't seem to decide about it. Thought I'd go to the best place I know for advice, one more time. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm sure this won't be the last time.

12 days & counting!!!!
Aug 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM

You have just asked the hardest possible question. There is no predicting how any individual will react to a luau. Some people will tell you they love them, others will tell you they don't like them. None of which will predict how YOU will feel.
My lonely opinion---------even though I really like luaus, they are not the highlight of a visit to the islands. So if you skip the luau, you will still have done all the best things on the island and not spent $75. However, if you are going to kick yourself later for not having tried it and end up regretting missing it every time some one back home tells you how great they are, then maybe it's worth the $75. It's cheaper than psychotherapy.
Aug 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM

I didn't think I'd like it in the least (I usually "hate touristy things" but my family, all adults, celebrating my parents 50th, went to Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. I loved loved LOVED it! Am terrifically glad I was forced to go.
Aug 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM

You couldn't pay me to go to one of those things..from $75-$100 per person is usually the going rate..but only you can determine if its for you..that's a lot of money for bad punch and a pig roast..imo
Aug 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I went to two - both on Maui - one at the Maui Marriott (did not like at ALL) and one was the Old Lahina Luau - wow - I LOVED that one and recommended it to several people since and they all loved it... it was very different than the one at the Marriott...
Aug 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM

If anybody doesn't like "touristy things" don't go to Hawaii. It is "touristy" from the minute you get off the plane until you leave. You can't get away from it.

But there are many who go to a luau to "experience the culture" of Hawaii. Yeah sure !
Aug 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM

I disagree with Rusty. There's plenty of things to do and places to go in the various Hawaiian islands that are not touristy. It really doesn't sound like you know all the islands all that well.
Aug 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM

I'd skip it in Kauai & check out the OLL in Maui next trip - it's the best!
Aug 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Suze, I didn't say there weren't things to do that aren't touristy. Tourists just don't do them. Why don't you tell us about all the things that YOU have done that are not touristy.

Start by telling us where you stayed. I am sure it wasn't touristy.
Aug 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Now settle down, people. This is the second time people have gotten into arguments on my posts & I'm getting worried! Am I gonna have to stop asking questions? LOL

Seriously, thanks to all of you for your quick responses. You have pretty much reiterated what we've been feeling. Guess we'll just HAVE to go to Maui one day. Oh, poor us.
Aug 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM

If there wasn't strife & contention, this wouldn't be fodors, or so it seems. Survivors here learn to grow a thick skin & ignore the dissidents. That's not saying Rusty was being that way, but you get my drift.
Aug 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM

The Poipu Shopping Village on Poipu Road hosts an free hour long Hawaiian song and dance show on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5pm. We went twice. The dancing was top notch and the show itself was very entertaining...and FREE. Go watch the show, then head over to Roy's for dinner.
Aug 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

That is a great alternative Iamq.
Aug 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM

That is an excellent alternative iamq
Aug 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM

IMHO, no ones wants to be reprimanded from the OP or another poster with giving great advice..you have never been here before..I probably can count over 100 times, I've been to the islands..love the one time only posters that seem to know it all too..I don't mean to harp on anyone but geez..
Not to say that my opinion is the right one, but please, you ask...be prepared for all opinions!
Aug 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM

you might consider going to the new north shore luau at Mediterranean Gourmet. I've heard good things about it.

I've been considering the question also, and decided we would go to one, though haven't decided which. I told my husband I was looking for one that wasn't too cheezy and tacky and he said "but then, what's the point???"
Aug 8th, 2009, 03:23 AM

IMHO opinion some people who have been to Hawaii many times (perhaps over 100 times) think they know it all and make completely inaccurate statements like "you have never been here before" and "one time only poster".
Aug 8th, 2009, 07:08 AM

We went to Hawaii 11 years ago and did not go to a luau. I had been to Hawaii previously and done a luau. I thought it was something husband (who had not been to Hawaii) and I could skip. My husband still jokingly (maybe he isn't joking???) reminds me that he went to Hawaii and didn't go to a luau. I wish we had gone to a luau just so I wouldn't have to hear how he didn't get to go (and no he didn't complain while we were there).
Aug 8th, 2009, 07:55 AM

No offense Hawaii Virgin, but when you ask a question like this (that has been asked a gazillion times) that has no obvious right or wrong answer you are going to get differing opinions and on fodors that often leads to mild tiffs.
Aug 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Well, after all that, our decision was....NOT TO LUAU, and I really don't regret it. Maybe someday I will, who knows? But for now, I'm so happy with our choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO