Reload this Page >

Extended Stay Motel-Austin, TX

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:21 PM
traveler

Can anyone tell me if the Extended Stay Motel that is located on Hwy 290 W, near the SW pkwy and 1 (the MO-PAC xwy)in Austin, TX is in a decent area and is decent. I would appreciate it

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:48 PM
mc

I haven't seen the motel but that area is pretty new, fast growth, lots of shopping like Target, Walmart,etc. It is the new suburbia!!! The highways are confusing for the locals but you will have easy access to central locations once you figure how to read the many, many signs.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:50 PM
hhfffh

Thanks for the info. I had read in a travel book that somewhere around there was a "shady" section, just didn't want anyone renting by the hour next door to us.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Ally

Interesting. I have passed by that hotel recently, and saw nothing 'shady' about the area. I would not worry at all.

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:04 PM
MM

There is an Extended Stay Motel on the corner of 6th and Guadalupe, right downtown. Also, one is located off Riverside and I-35, one mile from downtown. More more convenient, and unless you are working/ visiting Austin in that area, the traffic is horrible during rush hour.

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on the one mentioned in orginal post? I've reserved the same location for a week at the end of the month.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:35 AM

I just looked on Mapquest, and that hotel is actually in Oak Hill, south of Austin. I can't remember ever seeing it actually. However, Oak Hill is just fine. You have easy access to Mopac and 290 to get you to Austin in a couple minutes (unless you try driving it between 7 - 9 AM or 4 and 6 PM...)

It puzzles me that I can't recall it. I drive in that area now and then. Hmmm. I may have to check it out.

Are you staying there for the location? Or are you wanting to be closer to Austin? Will definitely need a car if you are staying there.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM

That is totally a decent area. I drive through there every day. It's suburban and has a lot of shopping.

It is close to the Hill Country if you want to get out and recreate.

290 E---a totally different part of town may be what you saw that was described as "shady." In Austin, the east part of town is generally the more economically depressed area. East of I-35 is a lower income area. Very generally speaking, the closer you get to the center of town the closer the higher income area comes to I-35. The further away you get from town the further West you go to hit the wealthy area---very generally speaking.

Oak Hill is middle to upper middle class---but not wealthy.

With a few exceptions, in Austin I have not felt unsafe driving in the economically depressed areas. I have volunteered in East Austin. And there are some sites worth frequenting in the east part of town, such as East Side Cafe and Boggy Creek Farm.