Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Expectant mother going to Universal Studios & IOA

Mar 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I am 35 years old and will only be 3 months pregnant but at my age, I want to be safe so I'm not looking to ride anything that isn't recommended for expected mothers. At Universal Studios, that includes: The Incredible Hulk Coaster, Spider-Man, Doctor Doom's Fearfall, Dueling Dragons, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls, Cat In The Hat, Storm Force Accellatron, Flying Unicorn or Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges.

And at Islands of Adventure, it includes Back To the Future, Earthquake The Big One, Kongfrontation and Jaws.

My question is, is there enough to do that I would stay busy at each of the Universal parks but yet stay off of the big rides? EPCOT is more my speed but I've been there 3 times so I'll only be spending one day there this trip. And I just recently went to the other Disney theme parks so I don't want to go back this soon. My husband I would like to spend 2 days at Universal and 1 day at EPCOT but if you think I'll be bored having to skip the fun rides, then we may not go at all. I just wanted to get in one last trip before we have a baby.

Any suggestions?
Mar 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Oops...looks like I may have my lists backwards. The first one contains the Islands of Adventure attractions and the 2nd list is the Universal Studios attractions. Which is odd since the IOA list is shorter yet it's the park known to have all of the thrilling rides.
Mar 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Surely there is somewhere else to go besides an amusement park? I would not bother going to IOA while pregnant.

A trip before the baby comes is a great idea... What else do you like to do? Shopping? Golf? Fine dining? Museums? Spa? Beach? Theatre? What about St. Augustine, Clearwater Beach, or Siesta Key? What time of year, and what part of the country could you visit?
Mar 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM

I'm with Dreamer2. For the Last Trip Before Baby, make it something a bit more special than Orlando theme parks. A bit of luxury and pampering is in order, somewhere beautiful. Palm Beach, maybe? Laguna Beach? Somewhere chic in New York?
Mar 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM

How about a CRUISE????
Mar 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM

If you are set on Orlando - how about Sea World vs a park with mainly active rides. This is fun, informative and gives you plenty of times to sit and rest (several of my friends found the first trimester to be the most exhasuting - even if not nausea making).
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Here's another vote for doing something other than the amusement parks. I love IOA and will be there Saturday but can't imagine not doing any of the rides.

Go lounge at the Don Cesar On St. Pete Beach for a wonderfully restful "calm before the storm."
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank your for your responses. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of how at Disney, you can spend all day doing lots of stuff in one theme park and still not see it all. So if Universal were like that, then we could just do the low-key activities this time around. Plus, I live fairly close to the beach already and we're more interested in activity based vacations. We have low-stress jobs and a nice calm life style so paying money to lounge doesn't appeal to us.

And I just went to Sea World last year.

But I will take your advice and consider skipping out. Maybe we could find a cabin in the mountains somewhere where they may have some low-key activities available like museums and science expos, etc.

Thanks.
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM

You could always compromise and spend one day at a park and one day lounging around the hotel. If you go to the JW Marriot/Ritz or the Omni Championsgate, they have FANTASTIC lazy rivers that you can float around in all day. My husband & I have been to both and we can't get enough of those lazy rivers. I definitely prefer the Omni's b/c it has a stronger current (not too strong though). Just a thought... PS Have you been to Disney's Animal Kingdom?
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM
GoTravel

IOA and Universal will be boring if you can't ride the rides.

Agree with the others that just about anywhere else would be more fun.

Mar 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM

You'll be going to places like WDW and US/IOA with your kid(s). Pick a destination for this trip that is more adult- somewhere you won't likely be going with kids in the next few years. When I was expecting our first child, hubby and I went to SF, rented a convertible and drove along the coast down to LA. I have great memories of that last trip before we became a family.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I recently spent a whole day at Busch Gardens in Tampa and didn't go on one ride. Spent the day checking out the animals.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM

There mayh be some rides you can go on if USO where you are going. Also Kingfrontation is no more it is now Revenge of the Mummy. Kong you would have been able to go on but not The Mummy. Spiderman is not a roller coaster, you are in a car that moves from room to room and you are actually watching a 3-d movie. The rides to avoid are obivious. Attractions that are safe for sure: Shrek, Twister, Men in Black, Earthquake, Jaws, Terminator. There is also the Sinbad and Posideons fury both shows. Popeye and Bluto is just a raft in which you get soaked.

There are great places to eat and entertainment. So if you are definately going, maybe stay at a hotel that has a spa, relax by the pool and go on the gentle attractions.

I don't know what hotel you are staying at, but we enjoy the Portofino BAy Hotel. It is so beautiful and relaxing, the hotel may be more fun for you than the parks.
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM

This pertains more to Disney, but you might find some good info here. http://allearsnet.com/pl/pregnant.htm
Mar 29th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I posted a reply yesterday but I don't see it, so I'm trying again. Please forgive if this shows up twice.

We've decided to check out the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area since there seems to be lots to do but yet we can rent a cabin and relax too. Thanks everyone for your input.
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM
trippinkpj

I've been to theme parks pregnant. In general, there's not much to do. I agree that Sea World would be a good option.

Mar 29th, 2006, 07:55 AM

It isn't cheap but Discovery Cove which is operated by Sea World and is just beside it is an awesome park. A maximum of 1000 people there each day. Wonderful adult park. You can check them out online and reserve your spot on their website.