Reload this Page >

Expanding our horizons in Bar Harbor

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:25 AM
John

We're taking the kids (13 and 16) up to Bah Habah/Acadia this June for a week. We are looking for unusual activites and/or hikes - things off the beaten trail. We'll have plenty of time for the usual touristy stuff like driving up Cadillac Mt., etc., but are looking to see or do some things that aren't heavily advertised. Drives within an hour or so are acceptable.

We are also going sea kayaking and would like to know if the "sunset" time periods are any better than any other time of day. Is there more wildlife to see during any specific time of day? We are looking at National Park Sea Kayak Tours (acadiakayak.com) and would like any input on this particular tour company.

Thanks much in advance,
John

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Liz

Here's a book that I found really useful for deciding on hikes, etc. I found the descriptions really good:

An Outdoor Family Guide to Acadia National Park
by Lisa Gollin Evans

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM
zootsi

John, not trying to scare you off, Acadia is a very beautiful spot, but realize the water is extremely cold in June, and the woods will have lots of blackflies.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:38 AM
sandra

John,
there's lots to do right in Acadia to keep you busy. I'd recommend renting or bringing bicycles to use on the carriage trails - they are really quite nice. Paved with a packed gravel, nicely laid out (love those Rockefeller's) gradual grade with very nice views. After biking about 1/2 hour you'll lose the crowds and be off the beaten path.

There are lots of nice hikes in the park and a really nice 1 1/2 mile walk that starts at Sand Beach and goes along the shoreline that even non-hikers would enjoy. Also a hiking trail from Sand Beach parking area along Ocean Drive to Otter Point.

We kayaked but I don't remember the name of the outfit. I wouldn't think it would matter the time of day - I know we started early - it was still foggy and we did see seals in the water.

We also took a sunset sail that was very nice - you could help raise the sails and the scenery was nice.

We also visited Northwest Harbour and took a boat ride to an island (Cranberry maybe?) for dinner. I liked that a lot - the restaurant was very good and we watched the sunset from the dock.

Acadia is a National Park so there will be ranger led programs that you should check into. Stop at the entrance and get the schedule. They are always very interesting. There is a pair of Perrigrine falcons that nest on the side of a cliff (maybe at Otter Cliffs) and the rangers usually set up a telescope in the parking lot so you can watch them.

Be sure and catch a sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain....you won't be alone but it's a great experience. Bring a blanket or warm jacket - it gets cold.

Also don't forget your insect repellent with DEET - June is black fly season -I find a hat helps - baseball cap pulled way down over the face keeps them out of the way. Some years are worse than others -

We also took a ferry over to Swan Island and biked around the island. Not much to do there but it was nice seeing how the islanders lived. There was a sheep farm where they made beautiful hand woven wool blankets - not sure if your boys would be interested in that tho.

Another hike I'd recommend is over near Somesville -called the Beech Cliff Trail. Since you're out of the park - you'll have it to yourselves. Great easy short 1/2 hour trail with wonderful views.

I haven't gone but I know that Isle au Haut is a favorite for hiking. You get the boat in Stonington. The island is part of the National Park.

June is not the busiest time so crowds will not be a problem.

There is a charge to drive the loop road in the park - that's why renting bikes is a great way to get around. But you do want to drive the Loop also.

Enjoy your vacation.
Sandra

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:14 AM
LJ

Lucky kids...lucky you. Things to do you might enjoy:
1. The (big) Chicken Barn (near Ellesworth)1/2 antiques-second hand 1/2 old books and magazines, games etc...our kids love it-great for rainy days

2. Cape Rosier Wildlife Sanctuary-off the beaten track, about 1/2 hour beyond Blue Hill which is a pretty little town, the sanctuary has an abandoned mine in its property, too if the kids get sick of hiking/animal tracking and you will be on your own. I f you go through Blue Hill check out Jed Hartmans sculpture gallery for some wonderful, historically accurate small gems of Native American Indian life

3. By all means go to Ilse au Haut on the mail boat, but linger long enough in Stonington to eat at The Fisherman's Friend (esp the fresh fish sandwhich) and visit the Old Opera House and check out the harbour, a genuine fishing port, not manufactured for tourists

4. LL Bean outlet in Ellesworth is worth a trip for the bargains, also excellent little theatre there if there is something on you want to see and a great Mexican Restaurant (The Mexx) if you can't face another lobster!

5.Have an ice cream at Bill and Bens (sp?) on main streeet in Bar Harbour

6. Castine, another great old town: vist the Maritme Museum, you may even be lucky enough to find a teaching vessel in port and do a tour; there is a major marine academy here and its very interesting watching the big ships enter and depart harbour

Have fun!

Old May 8th, 2002, 11:29 AM
klam

Sandra, thanx a mint for taking the time to write up your great post! We're heading to ANP this June too, and your info is really helpful. =)

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Rose

I just responded to another BH post and mentioned mt biking. There are several places to rent from in BH. We thoroughly enjoyed biking through Acadia, even though we've hiked there before. While the auto road was very crowded, the bike paths were quiet. We had stopped at the Jordan Pond House for lunch, which was one of my favorite places EVER. The popovers are fantastic!

Another little known area exists called Indian Point- Blagden Preserve. It's run by the Nature Conservancy, although I've never even seen it mentioned on their website. From the point, we had spotted seals. Also, the chipmunks are friendly & will gladly come for a treat.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Sandra

Klam - your welcome. I'm from Mass. but keep going back to Acadia - it's just a wonderful place to visit. I wish it was a little closer - it's too far for just a weekend. Enjoy your visit.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
gab

I'd recommend sea kayaking in the morning--it gets much breezier in the afternoon, and the paddling can be more difficult. Regarding outfitters, the feedback I've gotten is that they're all about the same. I believe that the ones you'll encounter in town are in fact operated by the same owner under different names.

Pick up one of the newsletters from a park ranger on special ranger-led hikes and lectures. I believe the offerings change from month to month.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:21 PM
jersey

Our best advice was given to us by asking the workers in the visitor center at Acadia for their suggestions.We were told different places to drive to and hike for beautiful vistas. They also suggested great spots to hike and eat lobster while enjoying the view. Ask the workers individually for their ideas. They're invaluable

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:43 AM
John

Thank you so very much for all of the replies. They will ALL be looked into. I'm checking in periodically, so if you're reading this, please feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Sincerely,
John