Should I change our NYC hotel ressies?

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
TCooper

Should I change our NYC hotel ressies?

Let me preface this message by saying that I am one of those annoying people who, for the umpteenth time, needs help making a decision about our family's trip to NYC. I thought I had our hotel figured out- I booked a room ($145 a night)for a room at the Hotel Beacon (not a suite- 2 dbl beds) for a Thur. thru Sun. stay in July with our family of 4 (mom, dad, 7 yr old and 12 year old). Then I see tonight a great rate ($ 169) for Le Parker Meridien. This hotel had caught my eye originally because of the pool for the kids, in addition to its location, but it seemed too far out of our reach monetarily. Now, I am tempted with this new rate. What do you all think? Is it far superior to the Beacon? I know it doesn't have the kitchenette and I wonder whether we saving a lot on food at the Beacon makes that a no brainer for a budget minded family. This is our family's first trip and I want it to be special....Many thanks for taking the time to help give me your advice!

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Frank

Change! No Comparison in the quality of hotel or location. Unless you plan on spending all your time cooking, I wouldn't hesitate.

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
rqf

The Meridien is a step or so above the Beacon. Is the $169 rate for all nights. or just Friday and Saturday. IF you intended to make full use of the kitch

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:48 PM
rqf

Didn't finish my previous note. If you intend making full use of the kichenette to stay within a budget the Beacon would be a better choice. Savings could amount to $50 a day. There are very few, if any, lower price restaurants around the Meridien

Old May 17th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Gloria

Have you ever considered a Hotel called the Belvedere? I've never stayed at the Le Parker Meridian so I can't compare this but I have stayed at the Hotel Beacon. Although the Hotel Beacon is nice and i had no complaints at all, the Belvedere is definitely the nicer of the two AND ours did have a kitchenette. Maybe this is a good compromise. I have no idea of the prices of the Belvedere these days. We were there 21/2 years ago with our daughter. We had a large room with 2 double/queen? beds so it was perfect for us. I believe we payed somewhere around $140 per night. If you haven't already, I'd look into this hotel and see if this fits the bill. Gloria

Old May 18th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Nina

The pool at the Meridan would be nice for the kids, but how much time would they actually be in it. Also does that $169 include taxes, if not that would make it about 13% (?) more.

I would opt for the Beacon because of the kitchenette. So much more convenient, and you will save enough to enjoy other activities. It is across the street from the Fairway Market, so that makes shopping very easy. The kids can have snacks and eat the kind of food that they like, and you can use the food you bring home from dinner in doggy bags. The kitchenette will be nice for breakfast too. That will save you about $40 a day.

The Park is very close to the Beacon, and the kids will enjoy that.

Don't be ashamed for thinking about changing reservations, or looking for a better or nicer place for your family to stay. You'll have a wonderful family vacation and that is all that really matters.

Enjoy your trip, wherever you end up staying.

We will be staying at the Beacon for 12 days and I will post a trip report after June 2.

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
TCooper

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help. YOu brought up some points I hadn't considered. Gloria, I did look into the Belvedere- it looks wonderful as well. Dear ss and sally, many
thanks for your replies....JT are you familiar with the saying on those bumper stickers that say: "mean people suck"? The beginning of my original message was tongue in cheek-I know that I have been back and forth trying to decide on accommodations, but I didn't intend to annoy you (or anyone else). I am sorry if I did. Just a mom trying to make a well-informed decision.