Reload this Page >

family beach vacation

Search

family beach vacation

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Chantal

family beach vacation

We have 3 young children (9, 6 and 2) and are currenly living in Toronto having recently immigrated from sunny South Africa. We are looking for an affordable,relaxing summer beach vacation, with golf nearby. Most of the packages are no good as you can only have 2 kids in the room and as I do not know where the best beaches are in North America, am concerned about going to Caribean or nearby areas in summer as I have heard the weather is not good.....i am looking for advice on good destinations to try.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:09 PM
world

Chantal, you've got to narrow this down. We've got too many choices: the east coast, the west coast, the gulf coast, Mexico (east and west coasts, gulf coast, too), and the Caribbean. The Pacific isn't as clear or warm as the southern Atlantic or Gulf coast, and the beaches are cooler and drier, in general. In the US, I'd look at San Diego on the west coast; from Cape Hattaras on down on the east coast, including Kiawah Island and Hilton Head, then down to Florida which has too many beaches to mention. Mexico can be more affordable, but you have to be careful what you eat and drink. In Mexico, on the west coast, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Xtapa (sp?); east coast, Cozumel, Cancun (too touristy). The Caribbean, I won't even start. I'm not sure what's wrong with the weather there if you're on the beach. Hot, I guess. If it's too hot for you, stick to San Diego, which is perfect in summer.

How's that for a start? Way too much, right?

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:11 PM
world

That would be the Pacific nor Atlantic are as clear as the Caribbean, which is stellarly clear.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:38 PM
cd

Author: cd ([email protected])
Date: 05/16/2002, 07:11 pm
We liked Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and Hatteras in the Outer Banks. The further south you go, like towards Ocracoke, the fewer people you will encounter. We liked the cottages when our kids were small because you could stay right on the beach, everyone has their own bedroom, you have a kitchen to do your own cooking (especially breakfast and lunch) Our children loved it. Florida panhandle is beautiful, Pensacola and Destin have white sand beaches and blue waters and it is very warm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Susan

Call Air Canada, book flights to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island for mid July. Call PEI Tourism & rent a cottage on the ocean. Or, check the Globe & Mail in the 'Vacation Property to Rent' section for cottage rentals.
You may also want to post on the Canada
Forum here.

Another possibility is Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:18 AM
rd

Try renting a condo on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. They are very affordable, on the beach and with 50+ glf courses nearby you'll definitely have a lot of choices. I don't know any websites but I'm sure if you serach the internet you can find one. If you're out on the outer banks there aren't many golf courses available but the prices are a little lower (Cape Hatteras, Nags Head etc.) Don't consider Myrtle Beach though - way too crowded and not as upscale as Hilton Head.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:27 AM
S

Chantal, Since you mentioned the Carribean, I assume you'll be flying. The next question would be what type of conditions do you expect from the water/beach? If warm beaches and cold water is your preference, then you'll be looking further north. If you prefer warmer water, then head to the Carribean or the southern US. Beaches along the ocean would tend to be rougher. Beaches along the Gulf Coast would have more gentle surf.

Even though the golf packages are only for 4/room, ask anyway, since you could put the 2 year old in a crib.

If you're flying in, you would probably want an area within an hour or so of a decent sized airport. That eliminates the Outer Banks. If you're driving with children those ages, I would recommend staying within a day's drive of Toronto.

If golf is a priority, and the children would spend their time in the pool rather than the ocean, you might reconsider some of the locations. Check out favorable golf locations and what is available nearby for the children to enjoy as well. Have fun.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Jason_Joe

Outer Banks soungs greats can we come too?

Old May 18th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Aubrey

ooh The outer banks is a great place to go but another suggestion is Jekyell Island in Georgia, not far from the historic town of Savannah. Alos try looking up Sanibel Island and Captiva in southern Florida. I'm only 14 and these were some of the coolest place to go, being a FLoridian...