Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC gurus.. I need your opinions on the Hotel Giraffe

Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

While I am a Manhattan native, I am now living in Colorado. Most of my family still lives there, and I visit frequently. However, when I visit, I of course usually stay with them.
This time is a little different, as my boyfriend is finally coming with me to meet this side of my family. So, my dad, being the generous man that he is, is gifting us a hotel room for 8 nights!!
We are so excited, as I get to see NY from a tourist's eye for the first time in years. The hotel will really add to that feel.
My question is... How is the Hotel Giraffe? We think that is where we are going to be staying, but I would love some expert Fodorite opinions!
Oct 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

I love the Giraffe. It is pricey(IMHO) but in a great neighbrhood. The rooms are lovely and well appointed. We also found it quiet. Breakfast is included in your room stay and is quite generous. It is buffet style in the lobby. You might check and see if you can get some room reduction for 8 nights.
We stayed over Memorial Day and our room rate was 50% what it normally was.

I list the Giraffe as one of my favorites on my profile.

Have fun and good luck introducting the BF to your family.
Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM

I agree, although I've never stayed there, I lived around the corner and love that area of the city. LOTS of restaurants in the immediate area, great jazz spot close by and the subway is just a couple of blocks away.

Welcome back home!!
Oct 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM

I also think it's a lovely hotel in a good area but I agree with Pam that sometimes it's quite overpriced. I always look to see what the nicest hotel is for particular dates so I don't know what other options you have at the same price or less or how this location fits in with where the family lives and other plans. The Beacon hotel on the upper west side was recently renovated and while not as upscale as the Giraffe, you might be able to get a 1 bedroom suite there for about the same price.
Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PamSF and travelbuff! It looked great on the website, but you know how that can sometimes be deceiving.

We found the location to be great for us, since it is only about 4 blocks from my dad's apartment.

All other opinions are appreciated! Also, any other suggestions in the area?
We looked into the Gramercy Park Hotel, since my dad used to live there 15 years ago or so. But, I haven't seen it since the great Ian Schrager remodel. However, i've heard mixed reviews, and it is really expensive if you ask me, even by NYC standards.

travelbuff: Which jazz club are you talking about? That might be fun to check out!
Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie!

We were really looking to try and stay close to my dad's apartment, which is only about 4 blocks down from the Giraffe?

What else is good in that area?
Oct 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM

Re jazz club: Probably this one, http://www.bluesmoke.com/red/index.html

Great ribs, too.
Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM

I have had friends stay at the Park South and they recommend it. And it is cheaper than the Giraffe.

http://www.parksouthhotel.com/
Oct 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM

I stayed at the Giraffe and LOVED it. The rooms are great, modern, fresh and clean. They service is excellent, the breakfast is free/included and is good. Wine and cheese in the evenings. When I went to NYC a couple of years ago I booked the Giraffe for the first part and then moved to another hotel whoch was more expensive and far less comfortable. Last visit I stayed at the Empire but I faaaaaar preferred Giraffe. I would not hesitate to return there and i think it is safe to say I wont stay anywhere else when i visit NYC.

Enjoy it!
Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody! You're making me even more excited! We leave November 8, and I can't wait to be back "home!"
Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM

Yes it's the Blue Smoke and just around the corner or so from the hotel. It's a dinner/jazz spot and has some quite good jazz come through.

Have a great time while you are here.
Oct 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM

We have on two occasions stayed at The Inn on 23rd(west) near 7th Avenue. It's a B&B situated in a townhouse. The rooms are comfortable. Breakfast is buffet style and includes juices, coffees, hard boiled eggs, bagels, toast. This is served in the library which is also a very comfortable place to hang out in the afternoon. You can also order food to be delivered and eat it there. It should run about 1/2 the cost of The Giraffe. Subway entrances abound on that street.I think this is listed as a Fodor's Pick in the NY hotel section of this site.

This time (next Wednesday) we are staying at The Chelsea Lodge Suites for 7 nights. It's on W 20th between 8th & 9th next door to The New School. The suites might be hard to come by(there are only 4) but it's worth a try. There are kitchenettes which was a big draw for us. Those (with tax) run about $279/night.

While it's not Gramercy Park, this 'hood will be a short walk
from that area. We did it a great deal.

Another thought~why not divide your time between two hotels since you will be there for 8 days. If your dad doesn't mind the Giraffe bill, it might not be an issue. But, you could stay there and say The Inn on 23rd or even move on up to the UWS for a few nights and show your BF that whole other world.