Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ever had problems with door-to=door shuttle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We always do a stay-and-fly at an airport hotel when we go abroad.
This time we're going to Italy for 17 days and I was thinking we really should take a door-to-door shuttle from home to the airport (so much cheaper). However, I am a super super worrier and I have this vision of the shuttle being late, not being able to find our house, whatever. There are no subsequent flights that day if we should miss our flight.

Is this a silly worry or should we stick to the hotel plan?
Would appreciate your personal experiences on the subject.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM

One time I was flying from my friend's house in Harlem New York and the super shuttle drove RIGHT BY ME as I waited on her curb. Waited another 20 minutes just in case it was on another route or something, then called the company. They sent out another shuttle and we zoomed to the airport and I made my flight. I think they leave enough of a margin that even if a problem comes up you can still make it.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM

I think you will be OK. As the previous poster said, they generally allow plenty of time for you to get to the airport and check in. When you call to make your reservation, they will ask for your flight info. If you have any apprehension about making your flight, you could always ask that they pick you up even earlier.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Oops! After I posted, I realized that I did not answer your question specifically. No, I have never had any problems with the door-to-door shuttles, but I have had problems with cabs picking me up. The condo I live in is not well-marked and has two separate entrances with two different addresses. When I call for a cab, I tell them to enter at the XYZ St. entrance, but that info doesn't always get transmitted to the driver.

As long as your street and house or apartment are well-marked, you should be okay. If it is not, you might want to stand outside and keep an eye out for the driver.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 03:07 AM

I used a shuttle once, and will never do it again. Because you share with other passengers, and hence many pick-ups, you may be picked up MUCH earlier than you need to go (or worse, you will be TOLD that you will be picked up ealier than needed, but may be picked up at a different time). We had a 7 a.m. flight and were told to be ready at -- gulp -- 3:30 a.m. They shuttle did not arrive til 4:30 (right on time for an international flight), but we were still awake(ish) and ready at an ungodly hour.

Also, compared to the limo service I've been using to get to BWI for the last several years, the shuttle is more expensive than the limo if there is more than one traveler. The shuttle (at the time I used it) charged $19 per passenger (or $38 for two of us). The limo I use charges $32 for 1-4 passengers for the trip. Even with tip, it is cheaper. Plus, the limo is more comfortable and comes WHEN I ASK!