Escape from Philadelphia

Search

Escape from Philadelphia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape from Philadelphia

I'm looking for a local destination (5 hrs by car) from Philadelphia for a relaxing weekend getaway. My plans to head to Miami have fell through . Any suggestions??? It will be my boyfriend and myself. We like night life and are 30 yo.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:40 AM
yk

topping for goldy_gold.

5hrs will get you VERY far (not really "local"). How about Richmond, VA?
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM

How about the Hamptons?
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought about the Hamptons. No vacancies and one of my friends forwarned me about the traffic.And Richmond(really Bush Gardens)was my boyfriend's suggestion - no "affordable" rooms.

If anyone knows of places to stay at in the Hamptons or Richmond/Williamsburg, please let me know.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Five hours by car from Philadelphia includes New York City (although NOT during the GOP convention), the Jersey shore, Baltimore, Washington, and the Poconos. Surely one of those places has what you are looking for.

If you head west on the Turnpike, you can stop at numerous places that may not have a ton of nightlife but will permit a "relaxing" weekend.

I should mention that one of our most enjoyable weekends was simply staying at a hotel in our home town. We told only close relatives the phone number of the place (emergencies only), jettisoned the cell phone, and refused to check e-mail for 48 hours. We got away from it all without a ton of hassle.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM

My kids are almost your age & would disagree but how about Charlottesville, Williamsburg and/or Skyline Drive in VA?Not much exciting night life but a nice change from the Schuykill XW. Try 2 nights in Williamsburg and 1 on Skyline Drive.Try for a last minute cancellation at Shenandoah Natl. Park (800-778-2851)and 800-History for Colonial Williamsburg. Big Meadows on Skyline actuallly has a hopping pub with local music.Between the 2,Charlottesville has Monticello & the Univ. of VA-the best of their class!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Another thought would be the North Fork of Long Island, much less developed than the Hamptons as far as tourism is concerned, but with some of the Island's better wineries.

Southern Vermont is lovely and would be just within your five hour limit. The Finger Lakes could be an option, too.

How about the Eastern Shore? Annapolis?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM

I second the Finger Lakes, although not a lot of night life unless you're in a Ithaca -- a great college town with a good bar scene.

How about Hershey Park? Don't know about the nightlife, but a lot of fun. Then again, standing in line for rides may not fall into your "relaxing" category, but it sounds like your BF is up for it. The Hotel Hershey has a great spa (think Chocolate Mud Bath!!). We have found good rates at local hotels (i.e Marriott). We went to Hershey a few year back on labor day weekend (sat) and found the park very manageable -- Sept is a great time to go to any theme park, as kids are busy with sports and school activities.