Search

Entertainment Card question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entertainment Card question

Hi everyone,

I have heard several people on this forum say that the best hotel prices can be gotten through the use of the Entertainment Card.

I have called the Entertainment Card folks (I have CA and HI cards) and gotten quotes for a few Hawaii hotels. The people at Entertainment have told me that they are the same company as hotels.com and that I can also book on line for the same prices.

To compare several prices at once I often go to tripadvisor.com, select a hotel, and click on the "compare prices" button which brings up several prices from their "partners" (including hotels.com, plus expedia, travelocity, etc.). Usually hotels.com (aka Entertainment Card) is NOT the lowest price (although on the phone they have told me they'll usually match other's prices).

Additionally, when I call some of the on-line travel agents in Hawaii (travel-hawaii.com, blue-hawaii.com, etc.) they seem to always have even LOWER prices than ANY of those tripadvisor "partners" - hotels.com (aka Entertainment Card), expedia, travelocity, etc.

So... am I not using the Entertainment Card to its best advantage? Should I instead be calling the hotels directly and asking them about getting an Entertainment Card discount directly through them?

Thanks!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely call the hotel. I have never dealt with the "entertainment people". I call the hotel and ask for all discounts offered including the Entertainment rate.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:56 PM
bonniebroad

cawhite, the way I use the E. Card is by calling the hotel direct, talk to the reservations people on-site. I have used the card at the Renaissance Wailea, the Waikoloa Beach Marriott, the Holiday Inn Sunspree on Kauai (under new management now) and gotten 50 percent off in every case, on their best rooms. I plan my vacations during off-season in Hawaii so I've never had a problem. There are hotels that will honor the E Card even though they are not listed in the book - you just need to call and ask. I hear that sometimes the 50 percent discount is not available, sometimes it's less, but I have always gotten the 50 percent off. I have never used hotels.com on line.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I'll try calling the hotel directly from now on (even though the Entertainment Book tells me to call their own reservation line).

I just tried calling the Grand Wailea. They offerred a 20% E. Card discount, but had their own discount on the same room that was 40% off... guess the card works better with some hotels than others.

I'll keep trying.

Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
bonniebroad

cawhite, the real ritzy hotels usually don't honor it, or give less than the preferred 50% off, as you found at the G.W. I've had outstanding luck with getting 50% during off-season with some really upscale places, except for the real 5-star hotels.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Bonniebroad:

Thanks! You're always so helpful on this forum. In fact I have a question for you if you don't mind....

Even though every other aspect of our Aug. trip (all 3 other islands) is nailed down, I still am not sure about our hotel stay on Maui. My husband, 2 kids (13 & 9) and I will be there in late August.

I haven't been to Maui in several years. I have a reservation at the Maui Ocean Club (even though I remember Kaanapali as a bit too touristy for me), and I have a reservation at the Maui Marriott in Wailea (thinking it will be easier to get to Hana from there, better snorkeling in S. Maui, etc... but the pools look like they're for younger kids than mine from what I can see from the pics on the Pleasant Holidays website, etc.). My husband is a Marriott platinum rewards member so I know we'll be treated well at either (didn't pick the Rennaissance because I heard it was less of a kids place, athough the beach looks so nice).

Neither place seems perfect, hence I'm still searching (G.W. just seems a bit too expensive and not Hawaiian enough). I've also heard the Maui Prince has great snorkeling and a lovely beach, but I don't really think of that as a kids place either.

I originally wanted to stay up in Napili but didn't because of no A/C and thought it's really far from Hana and other places on the island.

Any suggestions for us on where to stay? We want great snorkeling in walking distance, nice (doesn't need to be luxurious) hotel ammenities with a nice pool (we will be out and about during the day and not lounging around the pool all day, but want a nice pool to come home to in the afternoon), nice Hawaiian atmosphere, and places nearby to take the kids (shops, etc., but not ones that are too expensive). We also want to be able to see some night-time entertainment (hula shows, etc.) that the whole family will enjoy. We want to go to mostly "middle of the road" (price-wise) restaurants with a few nice ones mixed in.

I keep thinking maybe we should stay in Kaanapali? There we could go over to Lahaina at night. But I really want to be in a less crowded area. Is there such a location / hotel that fits the bill... Or am I being too picky?

Thanks, Bonniebroad, you always give such great advice. Others chime in too! I better nail this down... We leave in 3 weeks!!

Carole
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:09 AM

The deal as explained in the entertainment books is that hotels will give you a great deal when they believe that the hotel will be under 80% capacity. In other words, they'll deeply discount rooms that would otherwise go unsold.

Other sites may offer discounts all the time, so their rates will be lower.

We used to get great deals with the e-card, but since they have become so widespread, the deals have gone away. With Marriotts, they often quote better rates with AAA now than with E.

If you're thinking of getting an Ecard for an upcoming trip, I'd suggest calling the hotels first and seeing if the Ecard rates are desirable. If so, you can always purchase your Ecard AFTER you've found the deals, instead of purchasing one and then finding out it's not going to save you any money.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:30 AM

I think the confusion with the entertainment book rates is that there are actually 2 sections of hotels in the book. One is just the lowest available, which is really no different than expedia, travelocity, etc. The best rates are offered in the *Preferred Partners* program which offers *50%* off rack rates based on what Tracy2cents said, (whether they'll be under capacity). Last August booked an Oceanfront in Maui with entertainment rate of $110nt, if they're available, IMHO they're usually the best deals around.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I did see the 2 sections of the book.... it seems the hotels I like are in the lesser discounted section!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:33 AM
bonniebroad

cawhite, refresh my memory! What hotels did you decide to stay at on other islands?

Gosh, this old question of where to stay!!! I would never stay in Kaanapali unless I had children with me because I like a quieter, more spacious, relaxing area to come back to at night. I think the Marriott Wailea would be a great place to stay with kids; you can walk right next door for snorkeling at wonderful beaches, and there are luaus both at the Marriott and right next door at the R.W., if you don't plan to go to the Old Lahaina Luau. Kids would probably enjoy them, though they're not as authentic.

How many nights will you be on Maui? Will your kids be happy with a good afternoon and evening visit to Lahaina? Only you know your kids, and how lively they will be after being out sightseeing and snorkeling all day..... Also, you have Kihei right next door to Wailea, with plenty of shopping and excellent restaurants there, but you will need to get in the car to go there.

I honestly think you will have a wonderful time either place you choose (I'm sure I would!) Maybe, with the kids, I'd go for Kaanapali, with the shuttles to Lahaina for more affordable shops and restaurants and "fun" atmosphere. Good luck with your choice (and thanks for your kind words. )

tracys2cents, I talked to the Waikoloa Beach Marriott and the Renaissance within the last two weeks, and I could get full ocean-view rooms at both places for half-price in the Fall. Also checked the Waikiki Beach Tower, and got the same answer..... so I haven't had any problem using the card as I always have.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BB!!! Love your GREAT advise!

Here's where we're staying... everyone will die when they hear where we're staying (lots of moving around.... we want to show the kids everything!):

BI
Kona by the Sea (2 nts. for snorkeling)
Hapuna Prince (1 nt. for nice beach)
Kilauea Lodge (1 nt. for VNP and falls)
(we're sort of "making our way around the island" here!)

Oahu
Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach (2 nts.)

Kauai
Kauai Coast Resort (3 nts.)
Kauai Hyatt (2 nts.)

Maui
Maui Ocean Club or Marriott Wailea (3 nts.)

This is the "exploring" trip (have been there a few times but never with the kids)... next time will be the stay one place and relax trip!!

Thanks.

Carole
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:18 AM

Has anyone used the Entertainment card for dining? Is it worth getting a book for dining and activities? They have a special now for $9.95 for the Hawaii book which sounds like a good deal. Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Oh... and yes, Bonniebroad, we are doing the Old Lahaina Luau on the 2nd night of our Maui stay.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:51 AM
bonniebroad

Kitty, it is, if you use the book to eat out or do an activity, even once or twice. Even with shipping, you're getting the book for $15 or so. Let's say you eat in one really good restaurant, and you pay $25 for one entree, and get the second one free with the E. Card. Right there, you have gotten the price of your book back plus $10 gravy! And you've still got a zillion good deals left in the book. I don't think you can go wrong at that price unless you throw the book in the trash upon receipt, I'd say! It's got quite a few generic coupons that can be used at chain restaurants, movie chains, etc., anywhere so I don't see how you could do anything but WIN!

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
bonniebroad

Okay, cawhite, with just three nights on Maui, and you know you're going to the Old Lahaina Luau one of them, I vote for WAILEA!!! The kids will not have time to get bored in three days, based in Wailea; they could get their fill of Lahaina during the afternoon before you go to the luau. And you'll be so busy the other two days.... they'll probably be thrilled to come back and jump in the pool at the Marriott after dinner, and the Wailea beaches are wonderful. (You do have the shops at Wailea that you can ride the shuttle to within the resort, if they were just bursting to shop!) I know you'll have a ball either way, though! Aloha

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM

the entertainment book is a good deal even at the regular price (usually you can get it for $25 or less), if you're going to use it for a luau or dining. In the past, have gotten lowest price that seems to be available for the Paradise Cove Luau on Oahu by using the book, other good deals are several cruise options-(used a 2 for 1 Sunset Dinner cruise which made it $60 rather than $120)..there are all sorts of things in it. But it also depends on the Island you visit, you can preview the deals at the website. We're going to Kauai and there's only about 3 coupons in the whole book for it!