Search

Amazing Race 07/21

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:25 AM
iceeu2

Amazing Race 07/21

I was really sad that the father-daughter team was eliminated last night. Would someone explain to me what happened at the airport with the ticket mixup? But, wasn't the dad great talking about his daughter at the end of the program?

I'm ready for the cousins to get nixed. Saying she needed a doctor when she didn't was kinda crummy.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:32 AM
caribtraveler

I was reading and watching at the same time so anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
When they got to the counter, there was only one seat left. So the daughter booked one seat and did stand-by for the other. They also tried for another flight, there were no more seats available so they had to go standby for that flight too. They never got on those two flights and had to go on the 3rd flight (the later one). I think they were on standby for that one too but got on.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ice......It's a GAME!! Its a race for the dough.I think we'll see a lot more less-than-Mr Nice Guy this time around.Plus--its' TV!!!! We wont see everything and we'll see stuff we dont like....Part of the game....
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ice, I also don't understand the airport stuff. I thought the father and daughter checked in before the others, and so their names would be first on the standby list. Did I get that wrong?

I agree about the cousins.

Beach, yes, it's a game. Part of the fun for us is rehashing it afterwards, though.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM

check out the Amazing Race thread on the Europe forum for a good explanation of what happened at the airport.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM

I love the cousins but I can't stand the twins! I have watched AR since the first season and I think I like the teams this time the most of all.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:07 AM
jor

BeachBoi, yes we all know that.

iceeu2, The cousin said something that was worse than a lie when she said she needed a doctor. She should have been kicked out of the competition. That went far beyond a game. Too bad an EMS didn't pick her up and force her to a hospital!!!

I thought that what the father said was fantastic.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:31 AM

The chocolate shop was hysterical! I bet they never look at chocolate quite the same way again!!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:34 AM
iceeu2

Hi Beach...I know it's a game, but you always like to win the game right?
I agree with the others that it is fun to rehash.
I love candy, but don't think I could have handled that last night. Could they just have broken it in half or did they have to bite it?

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM

The cousins are brutal, untolerable. The need for doctor was wrong. I think the show is fixed to keep them in it.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:40 AM

There was only one seat on the 9:10am flight so she booked that last seat and tried to get her dad a standby ticket for the same flight. Her dad however got a ticket for the 10:30am flight but all the other seats were taken. Who knows if they actually got to the ticket agent first, because of editing we have no real idea as to who was there first. It seemed like the at least two other teams arrived after and asked for priority on the waiting list which is why the father/daughter were left in the dust. I liked them too. I always like the team that doesn't yell and scream at each other!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 11:40 AM
caribtraveler

I wouldn't be surprised either if the show is fixed.
Did any of you ever read that great People Magazine article a few weeks back about how reality shows change "reality" when it suits them? Very interesting.

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:07 PM

I don't think the show is fixed when it comes to who gets elminiated. It could be staged a little and highly edited out of sequence though.

Some VH1 show said on survivor that a few times they have used body doubles to re-shoot shots that they didn't get good footage of. One survivor said they take a SUV to the tribal council rather than hike there which is how it looks.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM

I really can't stand the cousins myself. I don't want to go so far as to say it's "fixed", but I really do think they've altered the challenges to make it easier for the little person. There haven't been nearly as many tasks that involve running, riding bikes, walking long distances, riding mules, hiking mountains, swimming, etc. as in past years. I think they did this to keep her in the game as long as possible. Too bad she and her cousin are so ANNOYING.

I was rooting for the father/daughter team, too. Now I'm not sure who is my favorite, but I think Colin & Christie are the team to watch.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM

I have a question about the cousins.

In the first episode when they had to carry the side of beef, Charla was helped by a sympathetic man they met on the street. Wasn't this cheating? My husband and I were sure they would be penalized at the pit stop for this but they weren't. The guy who helped was actually carrying the beef with her - why would that be allowed?

Loved the scenery in Patagonia on last night's show. Think that might be our next trip - we both thought the paragliding looked awesome!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if they let that one slide (carrying the beef) or if it was allowed. Some teams have payed or even just asked people to help show them how to find something/places. They are allowed to do that but they have to watch their money. If they run out of money they can be creative about how to get money (Beg, etc...).

I think the only time they really get penalized is when they don't stop/find every route marker or if they took the wrong flight/airline when they were told otherwise.

I don't like the cousins either. The tall one is more annoying to me, she couldn't even carry her backpack. The brothers drove me crazy with the chocolate, like it was the worst thing he'd ever had to do in his life. I actually sort of like the older couple and Colin & Christie. Just hope the winner is a whinner/arguer (distant memories of Flo!).
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:46 PM

Meant to say that the winner is NOT a whinner!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:37 PM

I love the cousins!! They are 2 smart cookies. Charla is using her disadvantage to her advantage, no different than one of the pretty teams using their looks to their advantage in my opinion. It seems to me, all the other teams are especially trying their best to NOT help the cousins. I was so hoping those chauvanistic, bigoted loud mouth pizza brothers would be the last team to arrive last night...maybe next week.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM
kkj

While I don't appreciate the lying that Charla did about a doctor, it was quite clever. She and Mirna haven't had any help whatsover from the others. They are basically treated like dirt. Nice of the other couple to wait for them when they went the wrong way! Too bad Charla and Mirna were nice enought to not leave them stranded in the mud.

Didn't care for the daughter in the dad/daughter duo. Thought she was a little too whinny at the beginning about possibly missing the plane when her dad was injured. Also would it have killed her to at least be nice to the cousins when they asked to team up.

Can't stand the brothers. The crack about "foreigners" was uncalled for. Hope they lose.

Love the concept of this show. It's great.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 03:14 PM

While I did not agree with Charla using the "need to see a doctor" excuse, I have also been bothered with the "we need to beat the midget" comments several have expressed.

I assume lying is considered OK in these shows as it certainly seems to happen. Wouldn't it be nice to have a show where those who play fairly and treat everyone nicely are the ones that win? What a humorous thought!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -