Credit card number to confirm hotel reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always use my Discover card to hold my hotel reservation for late arrival and I currently have at least half a dozen upcoming reservations that I have done this way. Friday I logged into my Discover Card account and found out that Discover is changing my credit card number, apparently due to some security upgrade. I called and asked about recurring charges and they told me that the merchants will be notified and it won't be a problem.

This morning I remembered all of the hotel reservations with that number on it. What do hotels do with your credit card number when you provide it like that? Will it be a problem that it has changed?
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:14 AM

My experience has been that the hotel does not put through any sort of charge unless you don't show up.

Some reservations require a one-night's deposit but hotels usually tell you that your card will be charged for one night when you book in that manner.

So, it appears you've got a bunch of upcoming reservations guaranteed. Unless you don;t show and the hotel tries to charge you they are never going to know the card has changed.

If you do show up they are going to ask you for a card to make an nimprint for the charges almost undoubtedly.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it but I suspect a flurry of horror stories may be about to start so hold on and see what happens.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:06 PM

And if you don't show up, they can still charge your card. You will still be responsible.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Um, I'm not trying to avoid being responsible.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Right. And I agree with Dukey that there's nothing you need to do or worry about.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Pat..It should be no problem.When I check in, they always ask if I want to use the card I guaranteed with.I usually do not so I give them the card I want to charge.Away I go.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM

they might not actually charge it, but it does count against your available balance
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM
dmlove

It only counts against your available balance if they put a "hold" on it. If they just keep your number on file (so they can charge it later if you don't show up/cancel on time), it does nothing.

Old May 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I had this same thing happen to me -- Citibank sent me a new card with new number. We arrived at one hotel where I had used the card just to guarantee the room (no deposit required) and they had cancelled the room. The manager said that on the day of arrival they checked the card and found out it was no longer valid so they canceled the reservation.
I can't say all hotels would do that, but in my book you'd be wise to email or contact all the places you're reserved and tell them that your number has changed. As to Discover contacting merchants you've done business with or even have set up for automatic payments -- well, I find that hard to believe. It certainly never happened with my credit card changes.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I cannot help with your query but I do have a comment on the alleged "security upgrade". CC #s do not change for no reason. When TJ Maxx had the breach of customers' acct #s, my CC # was changed and I was issued a new card. This was a huge pain for me b/c I used that card for automatic payments and in my rental car profile, etc. Believe me, no one notified anyone except me! Do not believe what they are saying about upgrades or that they will handle it for you. I think your card # was compromised in some way and they are just doing damage control. Every week there is another story in the news about companies having millions of card #s getting into the wrong hands thru some kind of breach.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Dont listen is right on!! I am not happy with Bank of America at the moment.I'll get over it.One of my dufas r/m's inadvertently picked up my statement from B/A.I found it cleaning his room and called immediately as the payment day was a week away.They offered me a free checking account, they would even deposit $50 so I could go online, make a payment in case they didnt get my check.I was ecstatic.Until another r/m asked "where did B/A get the $50 ??"..They charged my credit card!! And didnt tell me until everything was "done"...But..."Oh Mr Christopher, we have increased your credit limit by 33% for being a Platinum Level customer!!"....They are all alike, listen carefully, believe less than half of what they tell you.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
GBC

We have a cc with a low limit that we keep just for the purpose of covering reservations or purchases on the internet. The theory being that if someone else should learn it, our concerns would be limited. When we actually arrive at the hotel we use a different card to pay with.

We've never had a problem in well over 100 instances and I don't think you are likely to either. That said, if there are one or two hotels that are especially inportant to your trip email them to re-confirm just before you depart and provide them with a new cc number and expiration date.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
dmlove

The theory being that if someone else should learn it, our concerns would be limited. When we actually arrive at the hotel we use a different card to pay with

If you mean that your concerns will be "limited" in that you won't get dinged for someone else's unauthorized use of your credit card, well, that's the law. Your liability is limited to $50.00 if you report the loss/unauthorized use promptly. (This applies to credit cards, NOT debit cards)