Entertainment book for Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve read a lot about buying the book to save in restaurants and activities. I was wondering if anyone can give me so additional information. People talk about 2 for 1 and we are four my question, would I need to buy two books so we can all enjoy this? Or are there more than one coupon with the same special at the same place/activity? When do the coupons inside the book expire. All your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Some of the coupons allow up to 4 admissions {Buy 2 get 2 discounts}.

What island are you going to? I just returned from Maui, BI and Oahu and truthfully, I didn't use but 3 coupons. I bought the book in June and only paid $16 for it, so I made back my money and a bit more. If you buy one now I am not sure it is worth the full cost.

I also did not like how it was organized. I had a difficult time figuring out which island the listed item was on since I wasn't familiar with so many of the city names. I could have easily missed using some because of this. I am used to E books that are geared to 1 city only, not an entire state with so many islands and citites with unusual names.

The coupons expire on November 1st. So if you buy the 2007 book, the coupons will be good until 11/1/07. The 2006 book expires next week on 11/1.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Debi thanks for your input. I have printed all parts of your trip and has helped me to work out some of the places I want to visit. I am going end of May to mid June and will be in Honolulu 4 days, Maui 5 and BI 5 more days.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Almost all restaurant coupons are buy one get one free (or 50% off on second one).

For attractions, many are buy one get one free (or 50% off second one).

There are some that say 25% off for up to 4 people.

You can go to their site and see what each coupon is for.

www.entertainment.com

Most coupons are for Oahu.

Polynesian Cultural Center coupon more than pays for the book (buy one get one free, up to $40). You would need two books for 4 people.

Paradise Cove & Germaine's Luaus are both 25% off for up to 4 people.

So go to the site & look at the attractions you are thinking about going to.

Lots of info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564

www.visitmaui.com free brochure

www.mauihawaii.org

www.bigisland.org free brochure
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM

colombiana --

You are welcome. Glad you liked my TR...more to come.

One suggestion -- We did 5 nights in Maui, 3 nights on BI and 5 nights on Oahu and found we wasted A LOT of valuable time changing islands [packing, returning cars, checking in & security at airport and then doing it when we landed. I would suggest that you only do 2 islands...there is so much to do on each one that 2 would be plenty for your time frame. We barely touched the surface of things to do. And I know we can always go back, but there are so many places on our "to go" list, I am not sure when we will get back there. IMHO anyway...

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

thank you guys for your help.

DebitNM:
I know it can get hectic with the packing/unpacking but, honestly I do not know when I will get back there again (been there 2 times) and I do want to show my friends as much as possible. Last two times I was there (believe it or not) was there for 16 days and did 4 islands needless to say I needed another vacation once I got home but IT WAS GREAT. No regrets, and I am skipping one island I don’t think I’ll be willing to sacrifice two
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM

The biggest savings from the Entertainment Book is with the hotels and car rentals, which you can do with your local Entertainment Book. (We saved $1500 on hotels and $100 on cars.)
You can normally beat the deals you get on luaus in the Hawaii EB at various kiosks. Many restaurants offer 2 for 1 deals in Oahu. Bottom line, if you have a local EB to use on hotels and cars, don't bother with the Hawaii EB. If you need a book for the hotels and cars, buy the Hawaii book and use some of the coupons in it.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

MLMCVM:
Thank you, this does help. I really do not need it for hotel nor car basically it was for the activities, but I do understand I could probably get some discounts through the 101 things to do or any of those publications. Again thank you all for your help.
Gina
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM

Can you buy the Entertainment Book in Ohau or do you have to order it? Here in San Jose we can buy Entertainment Books for our area in the bookstore.

Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:33 AM

Ronda, i checked with 2 borders bookstores here in southern calif if the oahu borders can ship the EB Hawaii to one of their stores here, the answer is no. i called borders in honolulu ( the branch in ward center ) and they agreed to ship me a copy for the cost of the book and a nominal shipping cost. i paid over the phone with a credit card. hope this helps.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM

you can buy ANY entertainment book online at:
http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM

I bought one for my last Maui trip, and didn't use a single coupon.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM

I used mine during my recent trip to HI and saved: $39 at Chez Paul in Maui, $8 at USS Missouri in Pearl Harbo; $3.75 at Dole planataion. I bought it in May or June and paid $16 for it. Don't buy now if you don't need it til next year, they mark them down as time goes by.

You could save enough $ to make it worthwhile if you use if for Luau/ 1 high end restaurent etc.

Debi
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM

Hi Debi-
You saved $39 at Chez Paul in Maui? That really made your $16.- book worth it! I agree with you that they should wait. I bought the 2006 one in Feb. for my own area, at $17.50. I didn't use it as much as I could, but I'm sure I still had over $100.- in savings.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM

We will be in Ohau next week and not enough time to order it, anaheimwoman, so hence the question if you can buy an EB in Ohau. Sounds like Borders has them in Ohau. Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 01:32 PM

Look through it BEFORE you buy it. At full price, I don't think it is worth the $$.

IMHO,
Debi