English Teacher in New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I wonder if you wonderful Fodorites can help me again. I am in New York with 13, 16-19year old media students 13 Feb to 17 Feb. We are staying at the Edison Hotel, 228 West 47th St. My students are eager to eat in a New York Diner. Any recommendations for some in the vicinty of the Edison? And.... Cinemas, good ones in the area? I was surprised on our visit last year at how tatty the cinemas we visited were, expected state of the art. Certainly didn't get it. But still loved every minute it of it of course. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:49 AM

Forget state of the art. Take them to whatever is playing at the Ziegfeld. The largest movie theater in the city, and a glamorous, historical landmark to boot. They will never see anything like it again.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 06:55 AM

Not sure what you mean by the movies being tatty. I mean - what matter is the film - isn;t it? Who care what the theater is like?

For a big multiplex you may want to try the Sony near Lincoln Center - where they've eliminated ticket sellers - its all automatic kiosks only - and they also have an IMAX -but - still its' just a theater.

(Just for my own information - what else were you expecting?)
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

I didn't mean the movies were tatty, just the cinemas. Paint peeling, carpets ripped that sort of thing. We are very lucky to have an award winning independant cinema that is our "local" and I suppose we are rather spoilt. It is multiplex quality projection and seats all within an historical building.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:20 AM

Not sure what you mean by a NY Diner... but right in the Edison hotel is an old classic NY sandwich shop -- however, tattered would be an understatement.

There is the Brooklyn Diner on 57th St. (between 6th and 7th Aves, I believe) -- but that is a tourist version of a diner -- complete with tourist prices.

If you want a no-nonsense diner -- you can trek over to 9th Avenue and 44th -- to the WestWay -- pretty classic.

As far as movie theaters -- the two multiplexes on 42nd Street are quite nice -- AMC Empire and the Loews -- but for the Movie Palace feel, I agree with bugswife1 -- head to the Zigfeld!

(The Imax at Lincoln Square is also cool)

And -- since you have great movies where you are coming from, I hope you'll make time to explore the things that New York is uniquely set to offer... you are staying right in the midst of Broadway...

And for media students -- look into Museum of TV & Radio and the American Museum of the Moving Image (the latter is in Queens)

Enjoy!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:49 PM
mp

Check out the schedule at the Museum of Modern Art (www.moma.org) to see if any of the screenings in the beautiful new theatre would suffice. Also try the Walter Reade Theatre, which is run by the Film Society of Lincoln Center (www.filmlinc.org) that theatre will no doubt meet your expectations.

Many NYC theatres have very poor projection and atmosphere - but the Ziegfeld is not one of them. It is huge. I think it has approximately 1600 seats - and it is full of artifacts from from the 20's and 30's. The IMAX theatre at the SONY theatres on Broadway and 68th is impressive, if size of image is your thing . . . For alternative, adventurous, independent or foreign films, try downtown at the Film Forum (www.filmforum.com) or the Sunshine Theatre, part of the Landmark chain, or the Angelika multiplex on Broadway and Houston.

Have fun!