Alternative ideas to Broadway for visitors

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative ideas to Broadway for visitors

Since Broadway shows are dark right now, because of the Stage Handlers strike it would be an opportunity for you to take advantage of other shows that are running like:

Off Broadway lots of good shows and you can get lists at www.playbill.com

CARNEGIE HALL has WORLD CLASS musicians almost every day of the week, and a varied musical aray, from pop to classical. You know the old saying "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?,,,,,Practice, Practice, Practice. Most of the major NY choruses perform there over the holdays, like
New York Choral Society
The Oratorio Society
Colleigate Choral
Canterbury Choral Society (is doing Mahler's 8th soon)

So check the Carnigie Hall website for more information www.carnegiehall.org

Lincoln Center there you have SO MANY opportunities to see again WORLD CLASS PERFORMANCES and the season is in full swing.

The 2 halls Avery Fisher, Metropolitan and New York State Theatres support music, opera and dance and for the holiday season, you will find SO MUCH to see, like the Nutcracker Suite which is a holiday tradition at the State Theatre. For more information go to www.linconcenter.org

Also City Center is another well known venue along with some of the large churches, Riverside and St. John the Divine also have excellent concerts.

There are also several websites for information on happenings in the city like www.nytourist.com

So we are all so sorry that Broadway is dark, and we all hope that as the holidays get closer the two sides will come to some agreements so as they say the show can go on,,,,,,,,so think outside the Broadway box right now to other opportunities that you might have otherwise missed.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Thank you very much for putting this listing together. For those of us not familiar with the city, it's great to get a point in the right direction.

If the strike is unresolved by T'giving, I'll definitely look into seeing alternate performances.

Enjoy-la!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Hey Klam, look into the alternatives anyway. New York has so much to offer, it's NOT just Broadway, there is so much more culture here, and it's not often taken advantage of. Everyone hears of and goes to Broadway shows, but how about a performance of more than 300 singers doing Malher's 8th Symphony at Carnegie Hall? That's just an example.

Also the New York Choral Society is doing a Holiday Event at Carnegie Hall in December and it's a family concert, again, 200 singers with full orchestera, rarely do you find that level of performance outside New York. www.nychoral.org

There is so much available, so enjoy your trip to New York .....have fun.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM

TravelBuff has it right! Check out the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) for great views. Spend an evening in one of the great Museums (several are open at night).
Other good sources for performances are the 92nd Street Y, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Bargemusic (classical music on a small barge anchored at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, facing the lights of Manhattan).
Good luck!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
dmlove

Time Out New York has an article on "Strike Survival" listing some Broadway shows that aren't affected by the strike, and some favorites Off-Broadway:

http://tinyurl.com/39q35b

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM

There are shows that have continued to run (although I'm sure the ticket competition is fierce). One that I really liked is the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. It's closing soon and is a very entertaining show that has run for quite a while.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Speaking of Off-Broadway, some people feel that means less quality. Particularly among the shows which are NOT big musicals, Off-Broadway productions can be as good and often better quality, particularly acting wise, than many Broadway shows. In fact I'm sometimes amused that people talk about Broadway shows they've loved in the past which NEVER played Broadway -- they were off Broadway productions. Among those are The Fantasticks, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, and until it's most recent revival, Little Shop of Horrors. And don't forget that many, many Broadway shows started out off-Broadway, and some of the fortunate ones who saw them before they moved often say the show was better off-Broadway. Rent, Spelling Bee, and Grey Gardens come to mind immediately
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

topping this
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Everyone I take to Altarboyz absolutely loves the show and the tickets are always available and very reasonable. It has played for a couple of years now and still fills the theater. I love it, too, every time. Rousing cast and clever lyrics. Plus, it only runs 1 1/2 hours with no intermission. Enjoy!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Here's an aggregator of all concerts classical in NYC:

http://classicaldomain.com/month/nov/11-17.html

Check out Juilliard for concerts, recitals, dance, plays, etc...
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Patrick I love that play title, LOL. "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change".