Reload this Page >

english family need help

Search

english family need help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:04 AM
richard

english family need help

hi, i have read a number of messages, and MB looks a good place to go, BUT, i understand that it is 60 miles long!. which bit is best for 2 adults with 15 yr old daughter? main enjoyment, beach, pool, eating & drinking.
cheers a bunch richard

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:36 AM
xxx

Hi richard.

If this post is for real, I would suggest that you explain where MB is. You question posted on the general US board and therefore I have no idea what/where you are talking about. I'm probably not the only one.

Good Luck.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:56 AM
myrtle

I'm going to take a guess and say it''s Myrtle Beach.

If so, I'm no expert on the place, but I can tell you that North MB is a little quieter than the rest of the area. MB isn't one of my favorite places, but there's lots to do for a teenager and if you like to golf, it's a good spot.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
fashiongirl

My guess would be he means Miami Beach. Well, dear?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:09 AM
xxx

Richard - assuming you mean Miami Beach, it depends on your interests. South Beach is a wonderful area with tons of restaurants and nightlife in the old Art Deco architectural area. That being said, it's trendy and noisy and very popular with the twenty something club crowd. South Beach does have a wonderful beach with comfortable lounge chairs you can rent.

Depending on how much time you have, I would split time between South Beach (3-4 nights) and somewhere more resort like, Sanibel or Captiva Island.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:10 AM
xxx

Richard, the best area to go to would be the Litchfield/Pawleys Island area. Beautiful wide beaches and lots to do. Very historical area and Charleston is only an hour away.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:29 AM
Just a

Manhattan Blvd?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:05 AM
Jen

Richard selected the keyword "South Carolina" and probably thought there was a specific board for each state.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
xxx

ttt for Richard

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
Gretchen

While I agree about Litchfield/Pawley's I think Myrtle Beach would be what your daughter and you might enjoy. You might try Kingston Plantation--it is arguably the nicest place there. It is NOT 60 miles long. The "Greand Strand" designation may be 60 miles.
I will say, however, that the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort is having a very big sale right now--good values.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:45 PM
Cat

MB is the two-letter province code for Manitoba, Canada.

Richard, since this forum is for U.S. travel you should either clarify or repost.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
jbj

Maybe he meant Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.
When you're inside, it feels like a 60 mile hike to get out.

And many of the posts refer to the pool area as the "beach area"

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:09 PM
xxx

Go to MyrtleBeachLive.com and you will find a ton of information and freebies. I beleive it is the Chamber of Commerce's website.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:04 AM
richard berger

thanks for all of the responses, apologies, i do mean Myrtle beach in South Carolina.

although mandalay bay sounds fun!!??

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:17 PM
richartd

cheers foor all your help in getting me t south caarolins

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Sara

Richard,

We were just there at the end of July. If you don't mind crowds, you'll like it. If you don't like crowd but want to be near there, check out Long Beach, NC. It is only about 30-40 up the beach from MB. If you stay in MB itself, the very downtown area is very inexpensive,-- as low as $39/nt midweek. However, this is a college kids hangout so the cheaper hotels are pretty springbreak ravaged. There are some very nice resorts and Myrtle Beach State park is best for beach-going.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:29 AM
chuck

richard,

I agree with Gretchen--you should stay at Kingston Plantation. It is the best that MB has to offer. A second choice, a few miles North of KP is Ocean Creek Resort. It is much like KP, only on a smaller scale.

Litchfield is very nice, but it is far enough South of MB that you will have to drive further for most of the attractions.

And to clarify, the area known as the Grand Strand probably does have 60 miles of coastland. But the heart of the region (MB, NMB, Surfside, Garden City & Murrels Inlet) is approx. 30 miles long.

Finally, the Summer season is very crowded in and around MB. But that season is fairly precise. It starts in late May and it is absolutely over by Labor Day (September 1). Anytime after Labor Day and through most of November is going to be great--no crowds and warm weather.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Tina

I would also suggest litchfield. Myrtle Beach is too touristy and cliche' and I'd hate for your trip to the US to be full of neon signs and Ripley's museums. To fully enjoy the "South Carolina" of this beach, go to Litchfield and take a day trip to Charleston. You won't regret it.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:17 PM
MIke

The read around MB is known as the Grand Strand. It is the area from roughly Georgetown SC to a North Myrtle Beach SC (NMB is a conglomeration of 4 or 5 different beaches including the famed Ocean Drive beach (OD. Just south of Myrtle Beach is Garden City Beach, it has been like a second home to my wife and I for nearly 30 years. We raised the kid going there and continue to love it for the quietness and decent condos at a reasonable price. Type in your search engine SC,the reduce the search with Garnden city beach, then reduce it once more by typing "rentals." that should get you all you need to know.
You can get anywhere on the strand in less than an hour, charleston is less thantwo hours and there are beautiful gardens and a small zoo at Brookgreen gardens about 10 miles south of GCB.
Eat early at Drunken Jacks's at Murell's Inlet. (About 5 miles south)Tell Kenny that Mr Thomas recommended the place to you. (no I do not own or work there -- I just eat there a lot when I am in the area.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:19 PM
Mike

It would help if I could type. first sentence should read "The AREA around MB..."