Help for Canadian Rockies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:24 PM
liz

Hi

My husband and I are going to the Rockies in Canada after driving from Calgary down through Glacier National Park and into Montana. I have been told that Cour d'elane is a lovely place but the person who said that hasn't been there for many years. From there we are going up to Banff and further up the Icefield Highway to Jasper. If anyone has some ideas on what is a "must see" en route please let me know. Also what would be the best sights to see coming from Jasper to Vancouver via Kamloops. I don't want to stay in Kamloops but would love to stay in something typical Canadian out of the way place which has some ambience to it. Thanks in advance
Liz

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 05:34 AM
xxx

Liz. I'm not really following your itinerary well.
Sounds like you are flying into Calgary and driving to Banff, then down to Glacier NP, perhaps over to Couer D Alene, back to Banff and up to jasper then finally on to Vancouver????
This would be one crazy schedule if I am reading correctly. In fact it would be hectic doing the Couer D Alene thing as well.
Since Calgary is in the middle of Glacier and Jasper a big loop would work best if returning to Jasper. If going to Vancouver it would be a logisitical nightmare flying into Banff and hitting both Jasper and Glacier on your way to Vancouver - pick one or the other.
Banff could easily fill an entire week. Don't make the mistake we did on our first visit there of spending more time on the road and just two days in Banff!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM
utahtea

I read the route as Calagary to Glacier to Cour d'elane to Banff & Japser to Vancouver.

Depending on how much time you have you might want to do as the first poster suggested and cut out Glacier. Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Parks in Canada are beautiful and I love going there.

Must sees.

If you do go to Glacier make sure you go to Waterton on the Canadian side.

Going to the Sun road in Glacier.

I would skip Cour d'elane. I never thought much of the area.

Come back from Glacier via Kootenay National park to Banff.

Lake Louise & Columbia Icefield in Banff. We took the bus trip out on the Columbia Ice field and I would highly recommend the experience!

Take a side trip to Yoho National Park and visit Takakkaw Falls and Emeral Lake

The Icefields Parkway has many wonderful stops right off the road. Beautiful lakes and waterfalls. Make time to stop and see them.

Jasper (my personal favorite) Mt. Edith Carvel and the short hike to the Angel Glacier.

On the road to Vancouver stop in Hope, BC and see Bridal Falls. Hope is also where the film a lot of movies.

Utahtea

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 01:08 PM
liz

Thank you very much for your replies - especially seeing I posted it on the USA board and not the Canadian board, although I am going to both. I will re-look at the whole trip and take on board what you both have suggested.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 02:39 PM
John

We are very fond of the Kootenay country, which on your route can be reached by traveling north from Spokane through the wonderful Pend Orielle country to the border crossing near Metaline Falls (interesting place) and on into Nelson BC, a very cute town where "Roxanne" was filmed. From there you continue north through Nakusp to Revelstoke NP, connecting there to the TC Hwy and on to Banff. The Kootenay region is wonderful and its low key will help you get ready for the mobs in Banff.