Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

EMbarrassed ot ask this - Yorkville section of NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a chance to do a short home exchange with a couple who live in Yorkville - 86th and York. As I am from NY (many years ago) I should know but I never go that far uptown Is it a safe area? How difficult is it to ge tot the Theatre DIstrict? Is it difficult to get Ubers? Tell me anything I might need to know and THANKS!
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:08 PM

Perfectly safe. A little far east, maybe five or six blocks to the train. Plenty of taxis and no Uber problems.

Someone with more knowledge than I can tell you about buses downtown. There must be an express. I can only say avoid the local; takes a year.
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:34 PM

It is a very residential area. Really the only trains are the Lex 4,5,6. You can take that to either Grand Central or 51 st and according to your theater and subway stop either walk, take a bus, or a train across town.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:32 PM

Well… I live a block from York and 86. Most people think this is the boonies… but it is a lovely area and not that inconvenient. At 86th and York there are two frequent buses. The 86 St crosstown which goes to the west side. And the M31 which goes down York to 57th and then across to
11th Avenue. On one corner of 86 and York you have a Chase Bank, across the street is the Mansion… the local coffee shop/diner…plus Bagel Bob's.
On the other corner is a fine drug store, a dry cleaner a Japanese rest.etc., etc. Fourth corner is a nail salon, small Italian rest., florist etc. A block
away is Carl Schurz Park where Gracie Mansion is located. There is a fine promenade along the East River. Taxis are plentiful except in the a.m. before 10 (people heading downtown.) The 86 crosstown takes you over to the Subway at Lexington Ave. It is a jaunt to the theater district if that is the most important thing to you. I love my neighborhood… so ask any questions that will help in your decision.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:01 AM

This is a middle/upscale residential area with lots of families (large family apartments, many buildings built in the 60's packed with "family 6's") and is perfectly safe. Gracie Mansion is located here right on the river.

The issue is that York Ave is very far east and you are not near the subway without a substantial walk to either the 77th St Lex (local stop) or the 86th St Lex stop (express and local).

Taking the bus crosstown is time consuming so you may find yourself grabbing a cab a lot at the end of the day versus subway and then a fairly long trek (these are very long east/west blocks not the short north/south blocks) back to the apt.

I lived at 80th between York and East End for several years and it wasn't bad for me since I worked at Third and 55th - only a few blocks from the end of the York Ave bus line (58/59 and 2nd) - but for getting many places further west it is a PIA. NOT convenient for the theater district - where it can often be difficult getting a cab.

The upper west side is much better served by subways - with 2 lines, 1 CPW and 1 Broadway - so it's much better as a base to travel around the city.

There are lots of cabs and ubers in the area since it's quite high income and a lot of people take them routinely - but since you call uber that's not really an issue.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds lovely, Grandma. I'm familiar with the crosstown bus but have never ridden it that far. What a nice neighborhood!
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:47 AM

My nephew has lived there for years and always enjoyed the area and found it safe.
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:14 AM

Imo, it's very inconvenient for getting around period. You're several long crosstown blocks from the nearest subway station on 3 rd ave. If it's really a home exchange (and not an illegal rental) free is free and the area is very nice. But I wouldn't chose it as a location from which to do a typical tourist visit to NYC. The crosstown buses don't run very frequently and take forever. Nyccabfare.com will estimate a taxi ride. I'd say to Times Square you're talking at least $20-25.
Old May 9th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Do not forget to visit Glaser's between 87 and 88th on First and take a road (bus) trip uptown to see how Big Box stores are handled in NYC

A Guide Named Sue

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...nd-patsys.html
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM

The 86th street crosstown bus is quite frequent ...never have had real problems in over 40 years (but don't get me started on the 79th St crosstown - Forgot to add that if you're interested in museums you're just that crosstown bus away from Museum Mile. Guggenheim is at 88th and Fifth, Neue Galleria at 86th, the Met from 80th to 84th and a little farther down, The Frick at 70th St. You can walk thru the park at 79th street (or take that…. bus) and be at the doorstep of the Museum of Natural History. And just down CPW the NY Historical Society museum is between 76 and 77.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:25 AM

PS If you do decide to stay in the area this web site http://www.carlschurzparknyc.org has photos, etc. that will give you an
idea of what's at the end of 86th street. (East End Ave.)
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi
It is a home exchange with another professor. We don't use subways much - mostly buses and Uber so no problem not being near one.