Search

Edisto Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edisto Island

Our family, with a 9 yr-old boy and 7 yr-old girl, will be traveling south to Edisto Island for four nights in mid-April (after 2 nights in Charleston). I have been to Charleston recently for one night, but we have never been to Edisto Island. Any suggestions regarding what to do, where to eat, etc. while on Edisto Island? Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:34 PM
GoTravel

Edisto Island is a wonderful place to kick back and relax. Rent bikes, hunt for shells (great shelling), read, nap. Not a lot of exciting things to do but it is a wonderful place.

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:59 PM
jw

Edisto is a great place to relax - probably not what your kids want to hear! Definitely have dinner at the Old Post Office. A little pricey, but worth it for the grits! Beaufort is about a 1 1/2 hour drive to the south. Nice place for a day trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Are you staying in a house or condo with a kitchen? If so, I will say that some of the most memorable meals I have had in the Lowcountry have been when I went down to the dock and bought the freshest seafood available and cooked it up. Once I even bought a crab net and caught my own blue crab. Now THAT might be some excitement for the kids!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:49 PM
kk

We've been to Edisto twice and are returning in mid-April for a week. We always eat at the Pavilion Restaurant, on the beach, on Palmetto Blvd., which has nice seafood. The Old Post Office is very good, and it is better on weekdays when it is less busy. On the weekend they get stretched and the food goes from an A+ to a B+, IMHO.
There is another nice seafood place whose name escapes me, but it is on an inlet opposite the entrance to the Fairfield resort.
I love Edisto because it is laid back and small. Do you have tickets in Charleston for the house and gardens tours? We bought ours last November, and I've always wanted to go on them! I can hardly wait. Have a good time. kk
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your helpful responses! We're looking forward to a good time and to some good seafood!
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM

More on Edisto, please, I'm thinking of taking a vacation there!
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:00 PM

Interesting you found this old thread. Edisto and Hilton Head are as different as night and day.

HHI is very developed. It has traffic and all the trappings that come with popularity: good restaurants, crowds, shopping, lots of golf options, etc., etc. Money begets money...

Edisto is a sleepy little beach community that we found charming. It has missed the commercialization phase -- so far. (I am a Charleston native, living in Houston, and we have owned property in HHI, and vacationed three years in Edisto.) If you want solitude, time to relax, read good books and drive a wee bit to good restaurants in Charleston, you will like Edisto. I have to say, the shore is rougher on Edisto than HHI, with a high percentage of broken sea shells. HHI is typical sand, and very large beach area at low tide, especially on the south end.

Oh, one important plus to Edisto: in the summer, local farmers bring out fresh veggies and sell them on roadsides, just off the island. If you have never done it, an ear of corn boiled within hours of being pulled is extraordinary eating!

Bottom line is that it depends on what you seek in a vacation. I'd be glad to respond to any specifics you have regarding either, but, honestly, both are great spots for vacations.

Jim
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM

What historical sites are on the island or very close?
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:53 PM

Not sure there are any. If historical sites interest you, Charleston is loaded. There are sites from the 1600's available in Charleston. But don't hold this against Edisto, HHI lacks very much in the historical category, as well.

It may be that you should consider Isle of Palms, instead. It is across the Cooper River, north of Charleston, and on the Atlantic, but much closer to Charleston than Edisto and very much closer than HHI.

IOP is not as developed as HHI but much more so than Edisto. It has a larger inventory of houses than Edisto, but they are a bit pricier. Do a Google on Isle of Palms and you will get a listing of rental agents who can provide you with available properties.

IOP could be the happy medium you are seeking: not overly developed, but beachy with good restaurants, nearer to Charleston with its history, etc.

Hope this helps. Whatever you do, get busy. They book up fast and there may not be many choices in late May.

Good luck,

Jim