Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving NYC - South Beach - Where To Stop To Sleep??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Angela

I am driving (not alone) from NYC to South Beach next weekend. Can someone please recommend some nice hotels/motels to stop for the night? First night around the Richmond area, second night at the top or middle of Florida. Thank you.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Angela

Top for me.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:41 PM
z

1-800-Hampton

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:33 PM
r-travels

Just "wing it"!

Pick up those coupon books you frequently find at reststops, diners, and McD's along the interstate, and use them. $ave a lot of dollar$. If the "unknown" bothers you too much, make 6pm reservations "just in case".

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Angela

Thanks. I always forget about the coupon books. Do they really have cheaper rates than the walk in or call ahead? We will not be starting to look for a hotel for the night until 10:00 pm or so.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Donald

I am interested also.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
r-travels

I've had pretty good luck with the coupons. Some, but only a few, of the places will allow you to reserve ahead. Others only allow walkin only.

I now use AT&T phone cards I buy at Sams Club (less than 4 cents/minute) and call ahead to see what the policies are. Some of the places are deeply discounted for a good reason: they're a dive, or near a truckstop, etc., while others just see slow nights.

As a general rule, I find hotels closer to business/industrial areas cheaper weekends, and those closer to resorts, beaches, etc., cheaper during the week.

Once book has a website roomsavers.com (I think) that lets you chose what coupons you wish, and to print them. Beware that some hotels only accept a coupon from the book itself.