Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help for birthday weekend: Day trip out Of NYC and activities in NYC.

Jul 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi

My fiance and I moved to NYC a few months ago. It is his birthday this week and I want to plan a really fun and special weekend.
I was hoping to do one day out of New York at a beach side location (maybe the Hamptons?).

The main help I need is
1. where would be a good day trip (2hrs or less to travel) that included a great place to swim and a nice place to eat, accessible by
public transport. we wouldnt stay overnight as it is a 2 night min at most places and we cant leave friday.

2. ideas for the NYC day. my current list includes kayaking on the Hudson, boat rowing in central park and a harlem food and music tour.
we have done all the main touristy things so i am looking to do unusual activities.

thanks for any ideas!
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

how about montauk (sp?)... we would like something that is relatively easy to get around eg get the train close to the beach, can walk around and go to dinner, get the train home easily late that night...

thanks!
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:10 AM

I don't think LI is for you - since almost all places requre that you say at lest 2 nights over the weekend.

Also - there is no way to get from NYC to the Hamptons in 2 hours - unless you use a plane. On summer weekends Montauk is a good 4 hours from the city except in the middle of the night.

I think youmight do better on the Jersey shore - but again they may want 2 nights. Can;t reco any places there - since haven;t been in many years.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks for that.. sounds like hamptons is out.

any ideas for a day trip that involves the beach or other outdoors activities ... 2hrs or less from NYC?
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

does anyone have thoughts on somewhere to go on long beach, rockaway or somewhere on jersey shore?

thanks.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM

If you want to go for the day, perhaps (*perhaps*) you could swing Fire Island in 2 - 2 1/2 hours. It would involve train and then ferry but once you're there, you can walk to town(s) and beach(es). No beach, but Cold Spring in upstate NY is a really cute town and perhaps you could rent kayaks for a spin on the Hudson. Trip there from Grand Central would be approx an hour 45 mins (maybe a little more).
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

fire island looks great. think we will try this. any tips of cafes or restaurants there?
thanks for your help.
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM

It's been a while since I've been but perhaps others have some good ideas on restaurants. Remember to pay close attention to the return ferry schedule. Have a look at this website as well: http://www.fireisland.com/
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM

The basic logistics you ask about are somewhat unrealistic. Finding a place with beach and nice restaurants right there is tough let alone some place that's also near public transportation. Then there's the issue of beach "stuff" ...chairs, umbrella etc.

Long Beach is an easy ride on the Long Island railroad and you can walk to the beach from the train station. There are some places to eat in the town, but I don't think any are "nice" restaurants. You could go there for the day to the beach and come back to the city for dinner. If either of you drive, you should consider renting a car for the day which would make your lives much easier. It's easy to go to Jones Beach, park in one of the off the beaten track parking fields, spend the day, use the showers at Jones Beach and then head some place maybe in Freeport or Long Beach for dinner.

I've never been, but do you know about the water taxi beach in Long Island City? http://www.nywatertaxi.com/water-taxi-beach/

To add to your list of ideas for in NYC, I've heard accomplicenewyork.com is lots of fun. Some other thoughts
sail-nyc.com
shearwatersailing.com

I've heard seeing the waterfalls is much more impressive lit at night if you haven't done that.

Jul 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM

Another vote for LIRR to Long Beach. You can walk to the beach from the train station.