Search

Driving from NYC to L.A.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from NYC to L.A.

Hi,

My husband & I will be driving cross-country from New York City to Los Angeles at the end of this month. We will be driving a U-Haul (~10ft) but wanted to combine the drudgery of a cross-country drive with some fun. We have <10 days and know that we will stop in VA (family) and Charlotte. Since we were planning to visit VA & Charlotte, we were thinking of taking the US-80 (Southern Pacific)route. This is our first cross-country trip and we are on a limited budget so any recommendations on route, cheap but clean accomodations, tips on driving cross-country with a U-haul/Penske type truck, keeping personal belongings safe while on the road, must see places (we had heard Charlotte was quaint and walkable so we tend to like that), etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM

sorry, I can't help with this, but topping in case someone else can.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM

I think you're refering to some "roadtrip" guidebook's "Southern Pacific/US80" route.

First, Southern Pacific's main trans-con is the "Sunset Route", which is mostly the current route of I-10/US90. Not I-20/US80 east of El Paso, TX. So, that's kind of a misnomer to start with.

Anyways, from Charlotte, it's probably a little shorter if you take I-40 all the way across. I think it's more interesting than I-20. But you have some hills to climb in the U-Haul in western NC and eastern TN. I-20/10 is basically all flat.

As for lodging, with a U-Haul, you should just stick with the main motel chains. In late March, you shouldn't have problem finding vacancy along the way. I say just drive and then stop whenever and wherever you feel like.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I've done this twice in the past 10 years and it is a lot of fun.

What we did was we planned out a general itinerary but gave some flexibility to change. Each day as we completed our driving, we would get online and hotwire the next hotel, depending on how we long we wanted to drive the next day.

We stayed in some really nice 4-star hotels along the way for pennies ($50/night). So we never stayed at a motel 6 or the like. It was great.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I agree with rkkwan, I-40 is the way to go. Freetrip.com also recommends it from Charlotte. If you go to that website, check off hotels in your price range and they will list hotels along the way. You don't have to make reservations, but you will know what is available to you during the trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM

check out this website -
www.roadtripamerica.com