HI-80 across PA drive

Search

HI-80 across PA drive

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI-80 across PA drive

Message: I will be driving in late August from N.Y to Cleveland, OH. The trip will be along highway 80 across Penn for the first time. Any suggestions or comments about this route or places to stop? I was planning on staying over-night somewhere half way (Du Bois?) Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Not sure why you want to stop on the way - its' not very far - not even 500 miles. We used to do this trip all the time to see family - its no more than 8 hours plus any meal stops. = even if you're not booking.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Just a warning:

I've heard that 80 has LOTS of truck traffic (to avoid paying the Turnpike tolls)
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM

There is a lot of construction going on right now in the Columbia and Montour county areas of I-80. I think it starts somewhere around Conyngham/Nescopeck Route 93 exit and continues through to the Danville Route 54 exit. Sorry, I don't know the exit numbers as they changed them last year. PenDot has had a travel advisory warning people to avoid this stretch of road on a Friday, particularly going westbound. Happy motoring. Peace.

Robyn
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 10:01 AM

go to freetrip.com and enter your starting and finishing points. As you scroll down to submit, enter the hotel price range you want. The results will be miles, time and hotels along the way.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM

While I-80 has lots of truck traffic and higher hills, it's easier to drive than the PA Turnpike, except when it's snowing hard. More shoulder room, less curvy, and generally less traffic, etc...

And many trucks MUST take I-80 instead of the PATP, because most HAZMAT (hazardous material) loads cannot go through the tunnels of the PATP.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 06:19 PM

A toll-increase of 40% went into effect on the PA Turnpike on August 1. You will find increased traffic on I-80 (particularly trucks,) but if you've never driven it before, you'll have no baseline for comparison.

Just be aware that there will be a LOT of truck traffic, and drive accordingly.

There really is no other direct, east-west, non-toll, limited-access alternate through PA.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Any interesting things along this route to stop and see?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Try State College, PA.Might want to avoid 8/28 & 8/28 due to student arrivals.Bring walking shoes and relax.Try the Nittany Lion Inn or 1 of the many typical chains.If this looks good, POST a PA request for restaurant choices-lots of choices.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Williamsport - home of the Little League World Series - is just a slight detour off I-80. You can continue west on US220 and hit I-80 again.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Knoebel's Grove is a wonderful amusement park 15-20 minutes off I-80 at the Bloomsburg exit. Free admission and free parking, you could stop for lunch and a ride on one of the "top 5 in the country" wooden roller coasters and easily leave with change from a "twenty". You can do a search here on Knoebels for additional information.

If you are interested in anthracite coal mining, Ashland Tunnel and Coal Mine is probably 30 minutes away from the Bloomsburg exit. You pass through Centralia, the town consumed by a 35 year mine fire, on the way to Ashland.

Clyde Peelings Reptileland is in Allenwood on Route 44, which is north of I-80 but south of Williamsport.

There's a cavern that you can go in on a little boat, it's located not far from Centre Hall, but I can't remember the name right now. I'll post if I remember...otherwise, I hope this gives you some ideas. Peace.

Robyn
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM

I second the suggestion to check on construction info for PA before you make the trip at http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Workzone_...4map.html....I often travel I-80 through the middle of the state to visit my family...but am avoiding I-80 westbound like the plague this summer because I have heard horror stories about the construction traffic, e.g. 1 hour to go < 10 miles on a Friday night! Definitely try to travel off hours, if you can. I think you'll find the drive long, but often beautiful. If you're looking for a more interesting place to stopover, I would recommend Brookville, Bellefonte, or Lewisburg - each has pretty, historic downtown areas not far from the highway. However, there are options right off the exits for hotels/motels in many locations, including Dubois (FYI, for what it's worth, be aware that the Pennsylvania pronunciation of this town name is not in keeping with its french spelling, but rather along the lines of 'Do boys'). As far as other things to see...you'll be passing near several college towns, e.g. Bloomsburg, State College, Clarion, Grove City...Punxsatawney Phil lives a short drive from I-80...and if you're into wildlife, the increasingly large Pennsylvania Elk Herd can often be viewed several miles north of the highway in the Benezette area. Lastly, if you're not familiar with Pennsylvania convenience stores, be advised that Sheetz is the best! Their gas prices tend to be lowest and made-to-order (MTO) food the best. Have fun!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I agree that the stops listed are good ones on 80. As far as traffic, it's really not too bad most of the time I drive to NYC and Lakewood NJ each twice a month, and with the exception of Fridays which are always busy anyway, I really don't notice any long delays. The "truck traffic" has honestly always been rather heavy but has been highlighted recently because of some very serious accidents due to bad weather last winter.