Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from Dallas to NYC-route advise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We are planning a road trip from Dallas to Northeast Vermont next May with a diversion to NYC on the outbound portion of the trip. I've checked out Mapquest and it seems as the route suggested takes us through OH, PA, and then to NY. The map says it should take us 29 hours or so to get to NYC. Now I realize that maps don't always "speak the truth", so I'm asking for any advise that you folks might have. We are planning for about 11 days to make the trip as I'd like to make it a vacation rather than only a hard drive. The purpose for the trip is to pick up some items that we purchased in Vermont some time ago.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM
GoTravel

Yikes! Can you have the items shipped?

That drive has to be at least 1500 miles from Dallas to NYC, averaging 60 miles an hour on the various interstates, that's 25 hours.

If you do the trip in 25 hours, that is two days back to back 12 1/2 hours up there and two days back to back driving home.

You still haven't taken the drive to Vermont into account.

Out of those 11 days, sounds like at least 5 of them would be full driving days. That is, in fact, one hard driving trip.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I know, I know...it's going to be quite the journey. However, shipping costs were about $700.00. We even considered paying for the gas and a trailer for a friend to bring it back from his trip up later this month. Still, the fuel and trailer expense equalled about $600.00. Of course, I realize that we will be incurring the same when we drive, but our thinking is that at least we will be able to make a trip of it rather than just "toss" $600-$700.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

Are you taking in account that you both (I'm assuming two people because you mentioned 'we') must take vacation time if you are working? That is a big expense to me.

Also, the wear and tear on your car? Your tires? Your peice of mind?

I would weigh all the circumstances and for me, probably opt out of the trip and have the things shipped.

That is just me and I abhor interstate driving unless it is I-95 on my way TO South Florida.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM

11 days is enough to make this a relatively enjoyable roundtrip, and you won't be driving 10 hours every day.

I suggest you take a circular route to make the drive more interesting and less repetitive, especially if you haven't driven across half the country like this.

I suggest you take I-30/40/81 outbound, via Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville. You can even visit DC, Baltimore, Philly before arriving in NYC. On your way back from Vermont, take I-90/71/70/44 to Oklahoma, and then US69 down back to the Big D. The vistas and the cities will be totally different from the way out.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan-THANK YOU so much for your suggestions. We are kind of excited about this journey. We've driven from LA to Dallas twice and didn't mind the drive. I work for an airline, and we fly quite a bit. A roadtrip is actually a welcome vacation from time to time. Your suggestions are right up my alley as I love to explore the cities across our country. With our own car (and a trailer on the return trip), I can feel free to purchase all those wonderful regional items along the way! I'll get out the atlas tonight and check out your suggested route.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM

Having driven from D to San Diego, LA (well Claremont), CA, Phila and NYC scores of times, I would suggest you fly.
D to Little Rock to Memphis is a 2/3rd day really awful boring drive. Eastern TN and SW VA are great.
If you are really going to make a trip, visit the various historic sights along the way.
M
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM

Freetrip.com shows D-NYC 1549 miles, 23 1/4 hours. If you go to freetrip, you can also find hotels listed along the way. I just did a 7400 mile trip from Va to San Diego using different routes each way with info from freetrip. I also used it to plan next years trip to the Canadian Rockies using alternate routes going and coming. It is a great way to see the country. We are retired though, and we have the time to travel this way.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:25 PM

Driving is the best way to see the usa.What car are youi renting?We try to get advise here for low price car for 4 people and baby stuffs.Nobody helped us.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM

As an add on to rkkwan's, pick up 66 outside of Washington DC and take that to 95/495. If you get a chance, definitely stop in Memphis, they have the best pork BBQ.