Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Road Trips: Maximum hours you like to drive per day???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
bonniebroad

My husband and I have been discussing our upcoming trip to Florida, and one day he is planning to drive a 14 hour stretch (MapQuest estimate - I know it will be a bit less), plus time for breaks. What is your limit? I think that's TOO MUCH! This will be the day we come home, and I'm voting for breaking it in Savannah.......

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700 miles and about 12 hours of driving time was our all time max, but others have no problem going longer.

Utahtea

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM

I'm with you, Bonniebroad. That's an awfully long day. Stopping in Savannah sounds good to me!

BTW, did you get your test results yet?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I've done Washington, DC - Houston, about 1,400 miles, with two 15-minute naps, but that was crazy.

Less crazy was from Mitchell, SD to Missoula, MT. ~1,000 miles, but with little traffic in the winter, I was <b>averaging</b> about 80mph in a fast car. So, it's about 12 hours. Very easy, not tired at all.

When I was a truck driver, federal law limited driving to 10 hours in a stretch. [I believe it's 11 hours now.] But that's just official log-book time, with actual driving time a little more. That's just regular normal stuff for the hundreds of thousands of long-haul truckers working in this country.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:39 PM
bonniebroad

CAPH52, I just answered under FFR&amp;R ... yes, everything improved on the blood panel! I'm very pleased, but still a little work to do! Thank you for asking!

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM

We drove Boston to Orlando in 24 hours straight, 3 drivers. But the insane part is that we spent about 52 hours at Disney, then turned around and made the same trip back! We were in college and young and crazy and I would never do it again!

That said, I would do the 14 hour stretch only if spending an extra day traveling was going to take away from our time at our destination. But if you have the extra time, I'd want to break it up too!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM

We drove NYC to Charlotte NC once without stopping or sleep, never again.
We will be driving from Fl to Oregon soon, we are trying to figure out how far to go each day. The Yankee is figuring 10 hours a day. sigh..parts of me go numb at the thought of sitting that long
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
ltt

i'd do one really long day if it meant needed time at your vacation spot. but, personally about 6-7 hours not including breaks is what i am for. that way you either have a relaxing morning or you get to your destination early enough to enjoy the evening.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM

I think that 14 hours is okay on the way to a vacation destination. If it were 14 hours on the way back, I would spend my whole vaca dreading the ride home.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Lot's of times we drive straight through from Florida to southern Ohio, 18 hours. Especially if we get an early start.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM

Don't know from where you are coming, but we make drive Boston to Savannah several times per year. That trip is 1000 miles and we stop halfway (in mileage) south of Washington. However, despite what every mapping program in the world says, the northern 500 miles always takes several hours longer than the southern half - there is always some traffic issue between Boston and Washington - whether weather, an accident, beach traffic, rush hour in one of the cities along the route, etc.

After 12 hours I am ready to bail out of the car, even if it is going 75 mph along a highway.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM

I've done 25 hours non-stop (switching drivers) from Atlanta to Denver but I was a LOT younger then. My usual max is 500 miles. I just don't think it's healthy or safe spending more than 8 hours in the same position careening down the highway at 70mph. And...how could you NOT stop in Savannah!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM

I prefer max of 6 hours but can handle about 8 hours. After that I want out of the car!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Bonnie--Definitely break up that trip. I had a relative who fell asleep at the wheel years ago and became a paraplegic at the age of 17. So obviously due to that, our family gets a bit edgy with road trips. We DO a lot of them though, but we are always making sure the driver is ok. Sorry to be the bummer post on this thread, but I would hate for anyone else to go through this.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Hi mms, having been in the insurance business for over thirty years I agree with you 100%. I still cannot get some of the horrific accidents that my insureds were involved in due to overlong auto trips without proper sleeps and breaks etc.

Peoples lives ruined forever, because they wanted to drive &quot;just a few more hours&quot;. I hope that everyone will put their and everyone elses safety before any other consideration.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:10 AM

Our last trip cross-country worked well in that we did two hours at at time, switching drivers at every break. Drive two hours, use the restroom. Switch drivers, drive two hours, eat. We could each do about three shifts. That way, neither of us got sick of driving or bored not driving. We did about 500-600 miles per day. But when we stopped for the night, it still felt like we were moving.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Our travel rule is leave at sun up stop at sun down. Drove from Salina KS to Chugwater WY in one stretch.
As a nurse must give some advice, please heed.
If anyone travelling is overweight, even slightly, or prone to blood clotting, on any form of cholesterol medication....and on and on. Please check with your doctor before riding in a car or airplane for long stretches of time. A baby aspirin each morning can help from clotting but please check with your doctor first. best practice is at every gas stop spend 15-30 minutes walking around stretching the legs. A clot can form in the lower legs, travel to the lungs brain or heart and very quickly become fatal. Please check with your doctor before leaving for a long car trip or plane ride.
This is one trip preparation I insist on.
Happy Trails all!!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Excellent advice, ARK NURSE.

It should be considered by EVERYONE, all ages.

A friend in her late 30s with no prior condition, passed away after experiencing a clot on a domestic flight.

Thanks for bring it to everyone's attention.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM

We take turns driving, stop for breaks,but the thing that determines how long we drive is the daylight. We have driven after dust and found what looks like a wonderful motel only to find out in the morning we were on the edge of a bad neighborhood.Luckily no tires missing.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Our maximum is usually 12 hrs including breaks. When the kids were little, we'd bundle them up early and drive. By the time they were awake, it was time for breakfast. Another 2 hours and a stretch/potty break. Two more hours and lunch. After lunch was video time. We had a small TV/VCR that worked plugged into the car. After a short break we had wrapped surprises. After one more break, we'd be thinking about where to stop. Usually had a town in mind, but would stop early if needed.

Now the kids are late teens and can entertain themselves. We currently have three drivers, but still don't usually push past 12 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -