Driving from Las Vegas to Moab...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we are taking our first real road trip!! We are actually traveling from Irvine, CA to Moab, UT. I just want to be prepared for the drive. Are there many places to stop & eat, say between St Geroge and Moab? Or should we be sure to stop there? What is the drive "like"? Elevation changes? Could there be snow the first week April?

Thank you! And happy planning!!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Ther might be snow especially if you drive thru higher elevations.

How much time do you have. It is about a five hour drive if you stick to the intrrstate highways. Or you can take a lot more time driving other roads. If you have the time you could stop at Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, and/or
Goblins Valley.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Are you planning on going up 15 and across 70 and down 191 (which is the faster way) or going from 15 to Zion on 9 and then across with a stop at Bryce and Capitol Reef, then up 24 to 70 or some other way?

In any case, fill the gas tank when ever it gets down half and as I recall there isn't much from Vegas to St. George close to 15, but as you go north there are at least fast food or sandwich places along the way at the exits in Parowan, and at the junction with 15 and in Green River on 15.

If you go by way of Zion, there is food there and along the way.

I would suggest that you get a cheap cooler and fill it with snacks and drinks and bring about twice as much water as you think you need.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

We are driving 15 to 70. Getting there as directly as possible. From CA it's about 10 hours, I guess. Thanks for the reminder about gas, too! What about the 70? Are there many places along the way? Thank you!!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:04 AM

We drove from Moab to St George on 15 & 70 about a month ago. There is a long stretch (like 100 miles) west of Green River where there's nothing but scenery.

We didn't stop to eat on our way back between Moab and St. George. We did eat in Cedar City on our way to Moab and there was a nice pizza place and a sandwich place in Cedar City. Had a nice meal in St. George. I don't have time to look up the names but will post them later.