Utah National Parks-travel between west and east Utah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to visit Zion and Bryce National parks in early June. We would like to add lake Powell and the Arches National Parks to the trip. Would like to avoid having to drive across the state, some 270 miles to get there and are looking for other options
1. Are there any flights or buses from St. George ( where we will most likely stay) to any town that is near lake Powell or the Arches National Park? Can rent a car at the destination to get around.
2. Are there any tour organizers who might originate in or near St. George and cover Arches and Lake Powell.
Thanks for any suggestions past travelers might have.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM

Giovani,

It is very eciting for you to plan your first trip to Utah! I must tell you that staying in St. George to see Zion and Bryce is not a good idea! Zion is almost an hour drive from St. george. Plus javing the summer crowds means you will need to be at the Visitors Center very early to fond aarkonglace before boarding the mandatory shuttle buses. Even parking in Springdale can be difficult if you are not early.

Bryce is an additional 2 hour drive from Zion.

Commuting back and forth will really eat into your time to enjoy the parks. Plus, sunrises amd sunsets will be missed and those are some of the most beautiful times of the day!

I believe there is a small airline that serves between St. George and Moab. Try Redtail air. Not sure about buses. Most bus tours go to all pf the parks, not just Arches.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:24 PM

My apologies for the poor typing. I was trying to say parking place.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is your trip originating from? If you have your rental car from Las Vegas, just go to Zion first, Bryce second then across Rt. 12 to Torrey. See some of Capitol Reef and maybe Goblin Valley SP. Go through
Green River and then south on US 191 to Moab. While in the Moab area, see Arches and part of Canyonlands.
You can return to Las Vegas by way of Monument Valley, South Rim Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.
If you wanted to start from Salt Lake City, the California Zephyr leaves the city early in the morning and has a stop in Green River if you can get a rental car there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 07:01 PM

A lot has to do with your route and timeframe. This past September, we did a trip that involved driving from Memphis to Austin, then taking the train across Texas to El Paso, where we then drove up through New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah tending in Vegas. We hit several parks (including Arches) on the way.

Let us know your timeframe and plans, and I may have some suggestions for you.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dayle, TomFuller and Kristen for your very valuable inputs. After some more research, have decided to stay at the Zion Lodge in the park, drive to Bryce and stay at a hotel/motel (Ruby's?) supposedly near the park, mentioned by an earlier traveller from few years ago.Do you know the place? Is it still good?
We will be flying from the east coast into Vegas or St.George. American has good flights to either and flying to St.George will eliminate some driving.
Dayle, We will certainly check into possible flight to Moab from St.George.
. If that does not pan out, will go ahead and drive from Bryce to the parks east.
How is driving route 12 vs going by 62/72/70/191? Looking at the map, it looked like 12 may be more scenic but two lane roads. Is that correct?
Thank you for your very valuable insights.
(We have been to Grand Canyon several times and won't cover it this time)
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 10:23 AM

It would be a shame to miss the drive on Scenic Byway 12 from Bryce to Capital Reef and on to Moab. Yes SR 12 is two lane as are all the roads once you get off I-15 in St George from Vegas. It will give you a great perspective on the amazing scale of the American West.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Here's a trip report of one of our Utah trips up Highway 12 to Torrey and back to Vegas to give you an idea of the scenery. It is so spectacular that the time spent is secondary. It is considered one of the top 10 most scenic drives in the U.S. http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 04:41 PM

If you drive, don't miss Route 12, though I hear there is construction on one portion and there may be delays. Stunning views -- a variety from aspen forests to valleys to lunar-like landscapes on the way to Moab.
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 05:14 PM

Giovani,

It sounds like you are open to driving. I hope so! As peterboy says, it would be a shame to miss Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef.

Also, driving across our relatively small state is not that big of a deal. Plus, you need to realize southern Utah has incredible scenery the entire way. The amazing scenery is not limited to just the National Parks - it's everywhere you look!

Drive the whole trip and you won't be sorry.

Hi Peter and Sharon!
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 03:07 AM

Hi Dayle, Sharon and I are planning our next adventure...coming into Denver and then Needles down to Chaco Canyon....my sister from Oakland is meeting us for this one...fun!
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very,very much.! Peterboy, your trip report almost makes me feel like I am traveling there with you. Great job. You have convinced me to add a couple of days.if necessary and do the scenic route. Now we have the framework of a plan, we are in good shape. Thank you all for your valuable inputs.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Wonderful! You are going to love it!

Happy travels Giovani

Peter, your trip sounds so fun! Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM

We did the opposite!

We started from Grand Junction and ended in Vegas.
Day 1
Colorado National Monument
Arches
Day 2
Dead Horse State Park
Canyonlands
Day 3
Hickman Arch, Capitol Reef
RT.12 (awesome)
Bryce
Day 4
Bryce
Zion
Day 5
Zion
Valley of Fire

And finishing in Vegas. We were going sun up to sundown. Of course, we wished had more time.
Have a great time!

OTD