Some help needed on Southern Utah trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I were originally planning on flying into SLC, however, I just found a very great airfare into Las Vegas (round trip) and was looking for the best driving route. We have already been to the Grand Canyon North and South rims and also to Bryce and Zion. We would like to see Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Escalante Staircase (Hwy 12), and Bryce again if time permits. We will be arriving the night of 9/28 and departing the morning of 10/7. It looks like by flying into and out of Vegas, we will be spending alot of time in the car to see these places? We mainly like to sightsee and do some short less time consuming hikes. Any ideas on an itenerary?
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:04 PM

We did a whirlwind trip two summers ago in this area which is similar to yours. Arrived late in LV, next morning drove to Zion, spent that day in Zion and the next. Following day drove to Bryce and spent the rest of that day there. The next day we took Rte 12 through the Grand Staircase-Escalante to Capitol Reef. The next day we drove down hwy 95 through Lake Powell, stopped at Natural Bridges, hit the Needles district in Canyonlands, and ended up in Moab the next night. The following day, we hit the Island in the Sky District in Canyonlands and Arches. The last day we drove back to Vegas and flew home at night!

So it can be done, especially since you aren't returning to Zion. We were able to do some of the main hikes at each park, although no really long ones. We could have used a full day at Arches, but in the half day we had, we did get to do the Delicate Arch and Landscape Arch hikes. Capitol Reef, we did the Grand Wash hike and the Hickman bridge trail in the afternoon, both of which were nice. Didn't do any long hikes at Canyonlands other than stopping at short viewpoints. Bryce was cool, we drove down to the end of the park and also did the Navajo-Queens Garden Trail.

The trip flowed well because it had a nice loop. We even stopped at the Kolob Canyon section of Zion and Cedar Breaks on our return trip to Vegas along I-15.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM

You are going to spend time in a car regardless of whether you fly into SLC or Las Vegas. Utah is a big state and to get from one point to the other you are going to drive.

I suggest getting good road map, something better than AAA abominations, and plot a route that takes you to Cedar City, Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce, and then to Capital Reef National Park via route Utah 12, which is perhaps the most spectacular drive in the state.

From Capital Reef you can return to Lv or head for Arches and Canyonlands National Parks.

True, it adds to the length of the trip, but if you are going to make an omlette, you will of necessity break a few eggs.

But miles out there are immaterial to me. If I want to see it, I drive.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM

With the amount of time you have, I think I would bite the bullet and just take off the first thing on 9/29 and drive the 460 miles (approx 7 1/2 hour drive) to Moab via I-15 & I-70. On I-70 you will travel thought the San Rafael Swell which is very scenic. This way you can slowly work your way back to Vegas.

I would plan on staying in Moab on Sept. 29, 30th, Oct. 1 & Oct. 2. This will give you three full days to explore Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park and do some of the scenic drives in the area.

Oct 3rd I'd head out early in the morning for Capitol Reef 160 miles to Torrey (approx 4 hour drive) Spend the night of the 3rd and 4th in Torrey, Utah to explore Capitol Reef.

Oct 5 drive scenic Hwy 12 taking your time and do some exploring and spend the night at Bryce. 112 miles and at least 3 1/2 hour drive.

Oct. 6 spend some time at Bryce before driving back to Las Vegas in the afternoon. Depending on the route 250 to 260 miles and 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive.

Utahtea

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM

Hi S,

I like Utahtea's itinerary. Too bad you can't add a couple of days. 3 days is the absolute minimum for Moab!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses! I like Utahtea's advice. It will be a long first day of traveling, but it is a Saturday and if I can get on the road by 8:00 am, I can probably get to Moab by dinner time and still catch a sight or two on the way.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

To Utahtea:

What about if I was able to arrive in Vegas on 9/28 mid morning instead of evening and was able to get a rental car and hit I-15 by noon? Would it make sense to still make my way to Moab and maybe stay overnight in Green River, then the next morning drive to Moab and start the vacation? Or maybe drive to Page, AZ and arrive by 4 pm then stay overnight there, then the next morning make my way towards Moab by way of Monumnet Valley and maybe catch another sight on the way to Moab? Thanks again!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Bumped up hoping that Utahtea or anyone else will comment. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM

Hi S,

I can only say that if you are willing to drive LV to Green River, you might as well continue on to Moab. It's only another 30 minute drive.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM

Getting in early on 9/28 would give you time to make 275 miles and almost 6 hour drive to Page, AZ. You might have much time before the sunsets, but it's a beautiful place to be at sunset.

9/29 you will have all day to drive the next 275 miles to Moab via Monument Valley. I'm sure you could fit in a tour of Monument Valley. All in all, this route only adds 90 miles but will be a slower drive because most of it is not on the interstate.

As far as Green River, as Dayle mentioned, Moab is just another 55 miles past Green River, but if you are flying all day, renting a car at noon...that will make for an extra long day. You might consider stopping instead at Cedar City and this would give you time to stop at the Kolob section of Zion National Park just below Cedar City, Utah. Las Vegas to Cedar City is 172 miles and less than a 3 hour drive.

Utahtea

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea! Good news - I just booked our flights arriving early on 9/28. After deciding on the route, I will work on the rental car and hotel reservations.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM

Keep us posted on what route you decide on!

Utahtea
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:18 AM

If you are an animal lover, consider a visit to Best Friends Animal Santuary near Kanab. If not, nevermind!