Driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far is it from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach - is it a hard drive with traffic or no big deal?? I will be arriving aound 10:00 am on a Friday - Thankis
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:05 AM

I did this drive last summer. It is no big deal. It is less than an hour. The scenery is nice. At one point I got screwed up in a "roundabout". So I just went around the circle again until I found the correct way out.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:27 AM
GoTravel

DO NOT take I-95.

A1A is a lovely scenic drive.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM

Interesting comments above, but let me summarize. Yes, you can probably do it in an hour at 10AM on Friday if you take I-95. A1A is far more scenic, but if doing it now through April, expect it to take a couple of hours.

I'm trying to picture a roundabout?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
GoTravel

I gotta disagree Patrick. I-95 from Palm Beach to Miami is a parking lot from 7AM to 7PM.

A1A is a really nice drive and traffic moves.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:14 AM

OK, I'll take your word for it, as I don't do it that much. I'm just thinking of a couple years ago when we stayed at Bal Harbor and were to meet people in South Beach -- that "little" stretch took us 45 minutes and they were about to give up on us showing up -- that was in March or April. And the last time I drove up through Hallendale and Hollywood on A1A, I thought we'd never get there. Agree it is more scenic, but I've rarely been "stopped" on I-95 except about 9 and in the late afternoon -- it always just seems slow because you expect to go faster on an interstate highway. But have you ever done a count on the traffic lights on A1A? My luck is I catch every one red, too.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM
GoTravel

Yes, come to think of it you are right about the red lights.

Hmmn. I'm going say it's a crapshoot. Half dozen of one, six of another.

If you can, find out if there has been a wreck on I-95. If so, that will cause traffic to stop.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM

I usually have pretty good luck taking I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami on a weekday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. I agree, however, that if there is an accident then it is bad news. Like Patrick, I don't do it often, so I could be mistaken about how backed up it gets on a regular basis.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:30 PM

I drove from FLL to South Beach in 1 hour. This was on a Sunday in June. I took 1A1? The drive was pleasant.