Drive Time: Hana to Kahului

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching for this info everywhere, but cannot find it so I'm hoping someone here can answer.

After spending a couple nights in Hana, we will be driving the southern road from Hana back to Kahului for our flight to the BI.

How long should I expect this drive to take?

Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I've done the drive from Hana Town to Kahului, via Kaupo, in 2.5 hours, but I'd allow at least 3, depending on the time of day and weather conditions, probably more since you don't know the road. You never know who or what you might get behind. Once DH got behind a ranch vehicle loaded with cinder blocks that was unable or unwilling to pull off at any of the turn-offs and he ended up travelling at 5 mph for more than an hour. We were only late to a party, but you'd miss your plane!

Just to be safe, I'd give myself 4 hours. I'd rather have time to kill at the airport than be racing and stressing to make my flight.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Well, how long the other way - Kahului to Hana via the famous Hana highway?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Pretty much equidistant, but you won't have the unpaved sections so you can make better time. The downside is that you will encounter more traffic, so sometimes it can be a wash. You can do it in maybe 2.5 hours. I'd still err on the side of caution and allow 3.5 hours (you still never know what you might get behind), but I always allow extra time to get the airport.

What time is your flight? If you have a morning flight you'll ow ample time to get through the ag inspection and get checked in. OGG is busiest in the AM.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I planned on allowing extra time just to be safe.

My flight is early afternoon. Do I have to do ag inspection when flying to the Big Island?

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:35 PM

What wolfpackernc said - what about the AG inspection? What's involved? I'm from Wisconsin. The only contact I've had with anything like that are the AG stations at the California border asking if I've got any fruits or veggies with me in the car. What does Hawaii do? Is it very intrusive/time consuming?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM

The Ag inspection is easy--they just XRay your bags--checked luggage at check-in, carry-ons upstairs before the gate. But you still have to go to the Ag line before you check your luggage. It can add time to your check in time and the mornings can be kind of hectic cause so many planes leave early on. I've buzzed right through and I've been left standing in line when they had only one Ag line open. It is usually a piece of cake, but I always plan for the "what-if."

No Ag inspection for interisland, though. I missed that you were going to the BI. Interisland is a easier all the way around. I normally drop DH off about 45 minutes prior to departure for interisland, but he like sto live on the edge. ;-)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM

See you are going to BI from Maui in the afternoon....

Was just wondering if you are catching the Northwest flight direct from Maui to Kona?