Drive-thru movies?

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive-thru movies?

Coming over to California in Aug/Sept starting in San Fran,Yosemite,Vegas,Laguna,Santa Barbara then up highway 1 to Monterery and then back to San Fran.
does anyone know of any drive-thu movies along our route? Do they still have drive-thru movies or are we being hopless romantics?
Cheers, Al.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Do you mean drive-ins?
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Allmoo, Yes you are being a hopless romantic. The drive-thru ordering screen at McDonalds might be your best bet. The guy honking his horn behind you might get a little annoying while you are making out with your wife. I have never heard of a movie being played at a drive-thru anyway.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM

There are still several drive-in theatres operating and more re-opening every year. A couple near San Diego, a few within an hour's drive of LA, some up near Santa Cruz and not too far from San Francisco.

One just outside of Las Vegas has 6 screens going...though I suppose in the summer you must keep your car running with the air conditioning on, so current gas prices might effect them negatively.

www.driveinmovie.com
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:42 AM

san luis obispo has a small one but they still have one
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Drive-in theatres are for regular movies. Drive-thru theatres are for short features -- really short features.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Santa Cruz has 2 screens at it's drive-IN theater. It's called the Skyview and it's right on highway 1. You can't miss it.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone’s friendly advice. And for the few of you who feel the need to belittle a foreigner visiting your country, grow up
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM

Geez Allmoo. I really hope you have a great time and I hope you enjoy the drive-in but I think that the posters were being gently humorous rather than nasty. Perhaps a more open attitude would be a good idea for a romantic such as yourself.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM

We have not been to a Drive IN movie for years and years and I am happy to hear they have one in Portland Oregon.
Patrick LOL very short films are shown in DriveThroughs

Allmoo, it is called Joking.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I sure hope the "nasty" responses you are referring to didn't include mine. I'd hate to think that you have absolutely NO sense of humor and that you would take any attempt at kind-hearted joking as someone being nasty!

I have read and reread the responses and I fail to find anyone I'd guess was being nasty to you!!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Gee lighten up Allmoo, it was all in good fun. When you think about it the commment about "short films" was very funny.
Drive in movies were really bad, anyway. Small speakers about the size of a box of tissues and horrible sound. And usually the screen weren't that hot either. In fact, they were really good as drive by movies because they were only good for teenagers to do things they couldn't do at home.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Well, actually drive-in movies were for more than that. When times were tough for us in the mid 50's, our whole family of five could go for about a dollar. What's more we could take our own popcorn and sodas. We'd all sit in the car and watch the movie -- great cheap entertainment.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Ah, good point Patrick. I wasn't around for most of the 50's. When I was a kid in the 60's my mom would give us 50 cents to go see a double feature on Saturday (like every other mother in our nieghborhood). Cheap babysitting.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM

I love to go to the drive in movie. I grew up going to the one in Santa Cruz. Awhile back they started broadcasting the sound over the radio, so you don't have to mess with those funny little speakers.

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM

When I was little my parents took my brother and I to the drive - in, in NC.
When my children were small, we drove to Rockland County, NY , to the only drive -in around.
I took sandwiches, we bought drinks and french fries and I scared my small children to death with Jaws and movies like that.
They both remember them today ( I am relieved that they aren't in therapy because of it )
I wasn't allowed to go to Drive- ins when I was a teen ( my dad knew what that was all about )
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM

When we were teens we were blessed with 5 drive-ins within a 30 minute drive. Before they started charging by the carload we had a hundred variations on how to sneak friends in. They were a big social event with everyone going from car to car (except for those making out of course). Later when we had young children we took them quite often. Turned the station wagon around so that they could lay in the back and watch the movie. They were great entertainment, not a great way to watch a movie. Too bad that land became too valuable to leave unused from Sept.- May.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:39 AM
GoTravel

We used to go in high school. We'd all pile in my girlfriend's parents station wagon (sans parents) and drink beer at the drive in. No hanky panky.

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi all, drive-in movies, great memories! When I was in HS they charged per person not per car so when the boys went they would "stuff" extra fellows in the trunk. Noone ever claimed the fellows in my HS were the brightest bulbs, LOL.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I can remember going as a very young child. Cartoons always came before the feature, and when the feature came on, us kids went to bed in the back of the station wagon.

In high school we used to go as huge groups. We would all park nearby and then pile into a pickup truck or two, cramming as many of us as possible into each.

We have a drive-in near us now, and they charge per person, so no piling in anymore. The sound is from the radio, so no heavy speaker to hang from the window. Our drive-in shows new release movies, so it is a real hit in our area. We take picnic dinners and lawn chairs and have a nice evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -