Search

Drive from Boston

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Boston

I am planning on a July trip to Portland.I can't seem to find a flight under $400 to Portland, how's the drive from Boston? Is it easy? How long is it? Also, how much traffic does I-95 generally have in July? I'll be driving in on a Sat. and leaving on a Wed.
Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:33 AM

The drive from Boston to Portland is very easy, just be sure to get detailed directions from the car-rental agency about getting onto Rte. 95 in Boston. Traffic will be heavy on Saturday, but worth saving $$! Amtrak runs a train from Boston to Portland, so that's another possibility.
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:19 AM

Also consider flying into Manchester, NH. It's closer to Portland than Boston, and is served by Southwest and other airlines. Fares are often better than Portland and Boston.
Old May 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM

Agree with other poster...it is an EASY drive...when leaving Logan airport and heading north, you can avoid ALL of the dreaded Boston traffic and hit the northbound interstate (I 95) pretty quickly...not a problem.

The ride north (once out of the city) is standard 4 lane interstate...figure about 2 hours...there may be traffic, but it will just slow things down and not be a nightmare (as would be the case if you were heading south or to Cape Cod)...worst case it will take you 3 hours...the majority of the trip is all interstate with services if you need them...not a big deal! If you can avoid driving early in the day on Saturday (or Friday after work), you will miss most of the northbound traffic...worth it to me if the ticket savings is $100 or more!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:59 PM

Fly into Manchester, it's cheap and a lot closer
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...I'll look into the Manchester flights.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Manchester is only about 10 miles closer to Portland than Boston is -- it's farther north, but it's also west.
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM

You can get to Portland from Manchester via 101 to 95 North. No problems, interstate all the way and the traffic isn't that bad. Not to mention you don't have to get on Route in north of Boston....
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Check flights to Manchester (which has one of the easiest, stress-free airports around) and fly there only if it's significantly cheaper than flying to Logan (doubtful).

Otherwise, I think it's a waste of money to fly there since the drive is really easy. I've done it dozens of times. You may hit some traffic, but I've never hit anything that ruined my trips.

Use the money you save to enjoy Portland and it's cool restaurants and bars. Also, if you have time, take the scenic route and drive up along the coast for some of the way.
Old May 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM

I'd recommend flying either Manchester or Boston if you can get a much lower fare. If the fares are similar, Manchester is a MUCH easier airport.

I-95 can be busy in July on a Saturday, but nothing horrendous.