Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving: Boston to Portland, ME Friday afternoon in summer

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After spending a few days in Boston, we are driving up to Portland, ME, on a Friday afternoon in early August. I'm sure traffic has the potential to be really bad and I am trying to plan to avoid it as much as we can. We will probably head out of town by early afternoon.

1. Does it make sense to find a hotel on the north side so we can avoid in-city traffic?

2. Any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels ($200 or less) that offer free parking and are near a T station so we can use public transportation to get to and from the city? I'm thinking that we sightsee in the morning, take the T back to the hotel, pick up the rental car and head out.

3. Or would it be wiser to spend another night in Boston and head to Portland early Saturday morning? We plan to stay in Portland on Saturday night and then drive to Burlington, VT on Sunday. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:55 AM

Have you thought of taking the train from North Station to Portland and renting a car there?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM

Beverly Garden Suites is north, and very reasonable, but the train from Beverly takes 40-45 minutes back & forth. Certainly not do-able for four days. I think

Have you got a hotel in Portland yet? One night stays on Saturdays in summer can be hard to find, so book now.

Saturday morning traffic will be better in Boston itself, but still busy heading up to Maine.

I think I would stay right IN Boston, for 3 nights instead of four. Without worrying about T transportation back and forth from somewhere you can see and do a lot more in Boston and leave Thursday evening maybe 7pm, be in Portland before it's dark. Or spend Thursday night in Portsmouth or at Ogunquit beach.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:26 AM

I agree with the previous posts. Get a hotel IN Boston and use public transportation. Then take the Downeaster from Boston to Portland. Rent your car in Portland.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:49 AM

If you drive and can leave early afternoon, it might be ok as long as you stay on I95. Avoid Rt 1 which is a narrow road lined with commercial activity. I95 is a limited access highway. Backups tend to occur at the toll booth in Hampton. If your rental car as an easy pass transponder so you don't have to stop to pay cash, it will be a help.

The train is probably a good idea.