Search

Mass. or Maine

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:23 AM
Ann

Mass. or Maine

Have about 3-4 nights for vacation. Would like to either to Boston and another city such as Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard etc. or Portland and Kennebunkport (sp?). This is just to get away, see some local sights, shop etc. Which would you recommend? I haven't mapped out distances yet, want to keep it simple. Renting a car or public transportation is fine also. Thanks. It will be a May trip. Thanks!

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:45 AM
Answers

May weather is iffy, so a city would have more indoor activities Boston would obviously have the most to "do."
What types of shops are you looking for (gift, outlet, antique or upscale clothing)? Do you have any siteseeing stops in mind (history, museum, natural)? What type of restaurants do you like (cheap eats, fine dining, ethnic, seafood)? Where are you coming from?
Please be more specific and you'll get tons of help. There are lots of New Englanders here!

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Ann

Coming from Los Angeles, doesn't matter where I fly into. I'm not trying to be non specific, but really want to spend a few lazy days, walking, talking, shopping (any kind), waterfronts are nice and we like seafood. Just don't know the area very well and wondering if we should center in on Portland or Boston.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:04 AM
Dave

Both are GREAT destinations, and much of it depends on your interests. Generally, tho, I'd think that culture wise you'd do better in Boston, perhaps with a side trip to the Cape, whereas Portland/Kennebunkport would definitely be more relaxing. Another option would be to fly into Manchester, and vacation in Portland with a sidetrip to Boston. We have friends who live in Kennebunk and regularly do the trip to Boston, so its certainly not difficult. As far as getting away in May, I think my vote would be for Boston all in all, since the weather in Maine could be iffy, and that would make it more fun to do "indoor things". Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!! If you do go to Boston, be sure to leave time out to have Italian food in the North End!! Best Wishes

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:57 AM
gretchen

Definitely do the north end for dinner in boston if you go there!!!!!! It is on my must do list when I go to Boston!!! There is also a wonderful pastry shop there. Wish I could remember the name! Can anyone give some help here? I think most people who live in or have visited should know the name of the shop I think.
Have fun.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:26 AM
Leslie

Gretchen, you are either think of Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry.

I suggest May in Boston. There's plenty to do, and certainly plenty of shopping. Avoid the end of May, as that is when the college graduations take place.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Ann

Great, Boston it is. I don't want a car while in Boston, best to do Cape first then head in and drop off car? Or can one get by without a car altogether? Thank you.

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:36 PM
xxx3

The college graduations actually start in mid-May; two of the largest, Boston U and Boston College, are May 19 and 20.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:02 PM
JBX

BOSTON ! It'll be cooold up in Maine. Or maybe you'd prefer a chilly springtime experience. You won't have to worry about hordes of tourists. If you do go w/Maine, fly into Portland & also explore Bar Harbor.

Back to my initial suggestion --- Boston is better during month of May. DO take xxx3's advice and avoid coming during May-19-20. Boston University is a BIG school and Boston is a compact sized city --- it's be crowded. And besides, you'll have a heck of a time finding a hotel.