Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Downtown Chicago restaurant suggestion please, chicken, fish, mediterranean. The sky's the limit.

Search

Downtown Chicago restaurant suggestion please, chicken, fish, mediterranean. The sky's the limit.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello travelers, I am looking for an upscale restaurant to enjoy with my spouse and a few others while attending a convention in Chicago. We are staying at the Omni and would like a centrally located spot as we are split up in different hotels. Also, price isn't important as it is being paid for by another businesss company.

I prefer seafood and my spouse enjoys seafood or chicken, but no red meat such as steak, lamb, etc. It could be on the menu of course but with other suitable choices. Also mediterranean would be good as it includes both specialties. Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

I saw Alinea suggested in previous posts, but there is duck and lamb on the menu which my spouse doesn't eat. If there are any new hotspots please let me know. We are visiting at the end of the month and beginning of April and like to people watch too. Restaurants will be booking fast with a big convention in town so we need to reserve soon, was just offered the opportunity.

Warmest regards.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

ttt please
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

one last time.....
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM

At a recent business meeting in Chicago, my group ate at the following restaurants:
mk http://www.mkchicago.com/
North Pond http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/
one sixtyblue http://www.onesixtyblue.com/default.htm

I don't know if any of them is considered hotspots but we had delicious food and great service at all three. I believe all three would have food you and your spouse would enjoy.

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I think part of your problem in getting responses is that Chicago is not a big seafood town, it being located in the middle of the continent. Catch 35 is a good choice, though, and it's in the expense account category.

Alinea would definitely be out for you; too big a chance that your spouse would get a food that she doesn't eat. And about as out-there as it gets for dining in the U.S.

Green Zebra, I've heard (haven't been) is a very good place to go, and will make your wife very happy - it's almost entirely vegetarian. You'd have to take a cab to it; it's outside the downtown area.

I haven't been to Chicago for a year or so, so haven't kept up on the latest hotspots. Metromix is usually a good resource for restaurant ideas.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM

What's your age range and style - urban and minimialist, funky, traditional?

Avenues at the Peninsula is consistently one of the highest rated restaurants in the city, it's downtown, and their menu should offer a range of choices.

Stay away from Tru, Alinea, Moto, and other popular places featuring degustation menus -- your food restrictions would make eating there difficult.

have fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:59 PM

What's your age range and style - urban and minimialist, funky, traditional?

Avenues at the Peninsula is consistently one of the highest rated restaurants in the city, it's downtown, and their menu should offer a range of choices.

Stay away from Tru, Alinea, Moto, and other popular places featuring degustation menus -- your food restrictions would make eating there difficult.

oh, and obviously, make reservations well ahead of time (1 month isn't too early) if you're dining on a Friday or Saturday evening between 7 and 8:30 pm.
have fun!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:33 AM

If you can snag a reservation: Just had a really terrific dinner at Topolobampo last night. It costs, but very, very good, and service was excellent. If a company is paying for it, you could get plenty of food. We spent about 200 without alcohol, for two people.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will research over the weekend. My spouse is attending a heart meeting which will take over the town with 40k attendees. So mostly everywhere we go I think the majority of diners will be with drug reps and their expense accounts.

I'm in my 30's, spouse 40's. I like to see good looking, well dressed people. Jacket not necessarily required, but upscale. The crowd will be conservative though some attendees will probably be out with their mistresses, yuk lol.

I will definitely try Avenues since it's already at a hotel and someone may be staying there. Again, I will research each reservation and let you know what we can book. I'm concerned it's already too late to get in some places so we'll make a list for the drug rep and see what happens. Thanks again so much for your responses, I really wasn't sure where to go at all!

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Nick's Fishmarket, in the heart of downtown, has outstanding seafood. I highly recommend it. A good friend of mine whose culinary tastes i highly admire, speaks highly of Joe's Stone Crab. Both can be foudn on the web. Nick's Fishmarket is very classy and fits your needs.
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Do you like Sushi? We love Sushi Wabi. I like Green Zebra, but it may be a bit 'out there' for your husband. Sepia might be somewhere you should look at-
http://www.sepiachicago.com
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again folks. Is Nick's the same as Joe's Stone Crab? We have one here in Vegas. I finally received my spouse's schedule so we know what night he is free for dinner, I have to make a list of requested places today and give it to my spouse to give to the drug rep.

Top choice is Avenues right now but I'm betting it isn't doable but then again some reps have more pull. I'll report back with what we get and may the luck of the Irish be with all of us, especially those Irish Americans in Chicago today
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Not sure if you have already been here...but Catch 35 is a great place and decent prices (seafood isnt cheap). Nicks is downtown in the financial area (loop) @ The Chase Bank HQ and in my opinion is just OK - atmosphere is sort of weird. There is always Shaws - they have great seafood - and a little closer to your hotel - even thought Catch 35 is like a 5-10 minute ride. Another great option could be Greek Town -on Adams Street - just west of The Loop. Lots of options there for Mediterranean. Was just at The Greek Islands Restaurant on Friday and they never disappoint.
Good Luck
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM

I forgot to mention - try http://chicago.metromix.com/restaurants

And reservations are a must!!! Like call now~!
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM

We live in Chicago and love seafood. Our favorite place is Shaw's. Very good quality seafood.