Don Cesar, Beachhouse or Tradewinds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a vacation for my family of mom, dad, 5 and 8 year olds. Like the nicest hotels in any area. Would you choose Don Cesar or Tradewinds? I hear repeated comments about the small size of Don Cesar and I do not like old historic hotels. If we go with the Don Cesar, has anybody stayed at the Beachhouse at Don Cesar? I hear that it is newer and more spacious, but is the travel to the main resort to use the pools and so on a hassel? Any previous guests please inform us.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:41 AM

The Don Cesar is definately and old, historic hotel so if you don't like that it won't be your cup of tea. It is the nicest hotel on the beach, however. I have stayed in their Beachhouse which is essentially a converted condo building. It has it's own pool and is right on the beach but for other resort amenities you'd need to go to the main hotel. They have a shuttle back and forth plus it's also an easy walk on the beach.
I have never stayed at the Tradewinds but it appears to be a bunch of updated motel buildings strung together. Some friends recently stayed there and the first room they had was small and musty but they asked to be moved, and were happy in their second room.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 09:15 AM
OliveOyl

The Don is very definitely the best on the beach--the entire strip from St Pete to Clearwater. Yes it is an old and historic hotel, but it doesn't come across as "old". It's rooms, though on the small side, are not old in decor, architectural style or colors. Beautiful, light and bright, recently renovated, beach themed with a touch of class, very tasteful, is the best way I can think to describe it. Their pool and beach area is beautiful...worth the walk from Beachhouse if that's what you decide to do.

Beachhouse isn't in the same class. It's not a terrible walk down the beach to the Don, but it isn't exactly next door either. Of course a 10 minute walk can seem like eternity to a 5 year old, especially if you are carrying much.

Tradewinds. this is only word of mouth, but both here and on BFT the reviews are iffy. There are 3 of them, all with slight variations on the same name, and one may be better than the other. Walking past on the beach and just judging from the exterior, none are too exciting.

Of the 3 hotels, we've only stayed in the Don, but live in the area and that was a busman's holiday as my DH runs a "better than nice" hotel in Tampa. This in every way measured up to our expectations for an excellent hotel (and we live in a very contemporary one).

You've got a good sized group, but if the Don is affordable for you, that is the way I'd go. If not, I'd take the Beachhouse.

Perhaps someone else here can offer something positive on the Tradewinds?

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

After the two comments I received, I have narrowed my choice between Don Cesar and its sister property Beachhouse. We usually spend our day at the beach and the pool, have poolside lunch, and head back to the room, take a shower, do sightseeing and shopping in the afternoon and go have dinner at different places. Are the pool and beach amenities similar in both places? If they are comparable, it will give me more incentive to book Beachhouse. We do not use the other resort amenities that much, as we love to go around and see things rather than play sports at the resort all day.

Also my family are Japanese foodies (My 8 year old girl is a Tuna sashimi connoiseur). Is there an authentic Japanese restaurant in Tampa, St. Pete area? Which other restaurant would you recommend taking the kids to where they serve something other than Burgers and pizzas? My kids do very well in Italian and Chinese places, and we do drive to find good food.

Thanks in advance for useful info.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:11 PM

The Beachhouse doesn't have any dining facilities. You might check about one of the suites at the Don itself. They would be more spacious, plus you'd be right there for meals etc. They do have a pleasant poolside bar/restaurant plus the more casual dining room has an outdoor dining area.
Sorry, I don't know about any Japanese restaurants, but I'm sure the hotel's concierge desk could help you find suitable restaurants.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I have a condo in the St. Pete beach....the Don is beautiful and very special...the Beach house is better suited for a family as they have 1 or 2 bedroom....as far as the sushi there are 2 in the immediate area...one in the Dolphin shopping center and the other across the causway bridge in a small shopping center before you cross the bridge in front of the Don...Either way you will enjoy the wonderful beach and area
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM

Hi Alexis,
We took 2 girls (8 and 12 at time) to Tradewinds last year. There is one that is cheaper (Sandpiper) and 2 that are better. You could find this....best one has a little boat ride through it. You get to use amenities at all 3 if you stay there, but that's not much! It's a nice place, but we found the Sandpiper a little loud and the room worn, small and a bit musty.There is a fun bar down the beach a bit which we really enjoyed! If I had to do it again, I'd pick the Don. We love dinner in the downstairs (casual ) restaurant.Since you don't like old hotels, you may prefer the Beachhouse. I don't think you'd go wrong either way. Take the time to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. Get your tickets online and save time and money! There's lots of shade there, a lot easier than a day at Disney and the girls loved it!