Does this exist in OR or WA?

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Anne

Does this exist in OR or WA?

I'm curious as to if what I'm looking for exists on the coast in OR or in WA (or even
Vancouver Island). I'd like to stay at a resort type place that has its own facilities: pool, beach with chairs and towels provided. But in my research I'm not really finding these types of places. Do they not exist in this area? Is it because it is too cold to go in the water so people don't really sunbathe on the beach? Is the beach more just for walking/hiking than for
sitting in the sun? I'm not a B&B type person and that seems to be a lot of what I'm finding. I'd even be looking for a similar relax type of environment on a lake if anyone knows of that. I'll be going in August or Sept. Thanks!

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:29 PM
tom

OR and WA are not the tropics. You are more likely to lie out on the beach in a parka and gloves than in a bathing suit.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:33 PM

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:38 PM
xxx

How many times do you need to hear this ---- YOU WILL FREEZE YOUR A** OFF ---- As everyone on your other thread already told you.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Anne

Sorry for the duplicate post. It looked like my initial posting didn't appear earlier (yet it is there now).

As for the above post, I'm constantly amazed how people take the time on this site to be just plain rude. Nothing better to do? I said in my post I know the water is cold, but people have told me and guide books have said air temps can be quite warm (in Massachusetts many people go to the beach even though the water temp is only in the low 50s). As guide books say it gets very crowded at the beaches, it is only natural to assume people don't go there to freeze, as the rude poster says.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM
alex

I know people who went to Semiahmoo for the honeymoon and loved it. It looks gorgeous on the website. One of my roommates from college grew up in Oregon and said that it never gets as cold there as it does in the northeast and yet the beaches all along the south fork of Long Island are packed come Memorial Day.

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Sara

I think that the Northwest coast probably doesn't have the same type of resort as the east coast. The coast in the summer can be foggy and windy. I never go in the summer - only spring and fall for this reason. Of course there are days that it is beautiful and clear too. There are resorts that have beach access but they are usually down several flights of stairs.

So bring your shoes and sweatshirt and go for a wonderfully refreshing walk and if you want REALLY refreshing go for a swim - alone!

Sunbathing is best done inland. I'll try to do a little research and see if there is a lake resort. Some off the top of my head Diamond Lake in Southern Oregon - but this is a rustic resort - not 4 stars! Kaneeta in eastern oregon - but I think they just have pools no lake. I'll see what I can find and post again later.

Apr 29th, 2002, 02:07 PM
beachbum

I'll again recommend you take a look at www.stephanie-inn.com. In Oregon it's as close as you'll get to what you're looking for.

And we do "sunbathe" at the beach here. But the average highs during summer are around 70, and there's almost always a breeze, so you'll see a lot more people flying kites and building sand castles than in the water.

Apr 29th, 2002, 02:21 PM
lisa

We moved to Oregon in 1989, and were eager to go to the "beach." (Have since learned it is called the "coast" here.) When the temps hit 95 degrees in Portland, we put on our shorts and headed to Canon Beach, about 1 1/2 hour drive and 90 miles away (home of Stephanie Inn, by the way). The fog started rolling in as we crossed the coast range. As we neared the ocean, we heard a weather report on the radio. "And on the coast, today, it's 55 degrees with 25 mph winds." We learned to always pack our sweats when going to the coast. The coast is beautiful and lots of fun, but the weather is unpredictable, and it is often cool. The water is freezing - always.

Go east, Anne. East of the Cascades, if you want to lay in the sun. Check out Sun Mountain Lodge in Washington. Their web site is awesome. It is east of the Northwest Cascades Nat. Park, which is way, way gorgious. They have a pool and lake, and lots of mountain biking trails. My sister went last Christmas and loved it. (cross country skiing at that time of year) We're hoping to go in July.

It will not be at all like going to a warm beach resort on the east coast, though. If you want to enjoy this part of the country, you have to have different expectations.

Apr 30th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Anne

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!

Apr 30th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Karen

Got back tonight from 4 nights in Newport Oregon. Last night the wind was blowing so hard that sand was hitting the windows of our hotel and our room was on the 2nd floor and a bit back from the beach. Wind wind wind. It's always blowing on the Oregon beaches.
In 23 years living in Oregon I have never seen an adult with more then his/her feet briefly in the water of the Pacific unless they are wearing crabbing waders or a wet suit.

May 1st, 2002, 10:04 PM
April

The beach in Parksville on the east coast of Vancouver Island is usually busy with sunbathers and families in the summer. People with warmer blood than me do go into the water there.

There are some places to stay on the cliff and others at beach level. Some have pools but I don't know if any of them provide chairs. None may be as secluded as you'd like but here are some names to check out anyway:
Tigh-Na-Mara, Gray Crest, Ocean Trails, Madronna Beach Resort, Beach Acres.

Off-hand I can't think of a nice resort on a lake.