Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do People on the Isalnds really dislike mainlanders?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Matt

I have been reading some posts about this and wondered what others might know about this. I have never felt this when I have been there, but wondered what other thoughts people may have.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:14 AM
spell

Well I am not exactly sure what an "isalnds" is. I assume you mean I-S-L-A-N-D-S. However, you are right the people on the Virgin Islands really don't like people from the mainland. Oh and people from the British Isles really don't like people from mainland Eurpore. And let us not forget the island of Tiawan, as they absolutely HATE the people from mainland China. OF course all of that pales in comparison to how the people of the Japanese islands feel towards Koreans from mainland Asia.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:15 AM
KeysGurl

Yes, we hear on the Keys really hate the mainlanders from Florida. Just kidding of course. If you are talking about Hawaii you should have stated that.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:17 AM
KeysGurl

Meant to say here, not hear. Don't correct me.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Matt

We are on the Hawaii the Hawaii forum DUH!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Kris

There is no Hawaii forum...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Dan

Matt, before you say DUH to anyone else please realize that there are no state forums. (Many people would LOVE a separate Hawaii forum, though!) When you "choose" a state when posting, that only applies when someone is searching the forum by state. Otherwise, all posts are in the U.S. forum!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:02 AM
poster

I don't think you can make generalizations that encompass everyone. I think there is discrimination that we (whites) don't expect but it is not everyone who hates us. I posted the lengthy historical arguments, perhaps the other thread you are mentioning and I am white. Keep getting called and angry Hawaiian when I do this but I am actually from the mainland. Just feel the need to tell people who think the Hawaiians count their lucky stars that they are part of U.S.

In terms of what experience today, think it is like anywhere there is a minority. We are responisible for a lot in Hawaii and you know I meant that in a bad way. Thing is many long time (1 century) families in Hawaii are not Hawaiian. I have always heard that there are more Hawaiians in California than in Hawaii. So I think much of the discrimination we experience is just based on the minority factor. That could happen anywhere. Kind of what we perpetrate on the Latin American community on the mainland. Makes me humble when I am not pissed. Just important to remember that you color your own experience if you put out expectations that you will be treated poorly. Maybe don't expect Hawaiians to be these village dwelling, happy go lucky no nothings. This is the image we are sold by the tourist industry don't buy into it.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Diana

I am sorry for the suffering of anyone. I hate when people judge other people for whatever reason. I do my best to be a kind and gentle spirit. My father always said right gets right and for those who do wrong it will always come around to them either here or in the next plain. He also told me that we should not bear shame for the sins of our ancestors. He said to walk with our heads high and do the best that we can for any suffering human or animal. Is is so much easier for people to be negative and to follow than it is to lead in a positive way when it goes against the majority. I just know that that I will never sell my soul to these people who feel they have to conquer(sp) to suceed.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Poster

Diana walking with a high head does not mean ignoring something that could promote some understanding.

Like I said the majority in Hawaii are not Hawaiian so this issue of discrimination goes beyond stolen land and cultures.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Like ND

So, if you do something wrong in Kansas you'll buy the farm (so to speak) in S.D.? Or if in S.D. you'll push-up daisies in N.D.?

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:51 AM
xxx

Like ND what are you trying to say?