Reload this Page >

Historical sites &homes/Antiques in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Jenson

Can anyone offer any recommendations of historical sites that should not be missed in Boston? I'll be there from Aug. 2-5. Anyone know of an area where I could do some antique shopping? Or view historical homes? Many thanks!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Ann

To get a wonderful exposure to antiques and home settings, be sure to visit the Museum of Fine Arts. They have an amazing collection. As far as antique shopping, there are shops on Charles St., and a multi-dealer place in East Cambridge. Look in the online Yellow Pages for specific shops. There is an organization called SPNEA which owns/preserves/shows many of the historic properties in the area and has a website (www.spnea.org) which would be of tremendous interest. Don't forget the Gardner Museum (very close to the MFA) is in Mrs. Gardner's home! It's a knockout, especially the indoor garden.
In the North End you can visit Paul Revere's home. Small but interesting. If you can get to Concord you can visit Louisa May Alcott's home among others. See the SPNEA page for listings. This will surely keep you busy for your short visit. Have fun!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:05 AM
bennie

If you have a car available to you, drive to the small town of Essex on Cape Ann. Its known for its numerous antique shops as well as some of the best seafood around.

The recommendation to check out the Society for Preservation of New England Antiquities website is excellent. This organization maintains a number of homes in Boston and surrounding area.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Jenson

Many thanks Ann and Bennie! Excellent resources and advice -- I really appreciate it. One follow-up question -- we will not have a car so I'm wondering if it's possible to take a taxi to Essex -- how far is it from Boston? Thanks again!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Ann

I would not take a taxi to Essex as it would be prohibitively expensive! There are commuter rail lines which go up to the North Shore, and you might look into these. You might also look into renting a car for one day. It would probably take an hour or less to get to the Essex area, depending on traffic conditions. If you're renting a car, you'll be able to wander about the countryside on the north shore, and check out all the charming little towns full of antique shops!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:41 AM
g

Charles Street in Beacon Hill neighborhood has dozens of antique dealers, and also historic mansions and homes in the neighborhood.

You'll also be conveniently close to everything else that Boston has to offer as Beacon Hill is a ritzy neighborhood right in the middle of downtown.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Suzy

In addition to the SPNEA properties (Harrison Gray Otis house, etc.) other homes open to the public are:

the Nichols House Museum on Mount Vernon Street, Beacon Hill http://www.rocket99.com/zoom/11547.html

the Gibson House Museum on Beacon Street in the Back Bay (a 5-minute walk from the Nichols House) http://gibson-house.boston-travel-info.com/

and of course the Paul Revere House in the North End.