Reload this Page >

Final Vacation, Pre-Baby

Search

Final Vacation, Pre-Baby

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Ed

Final Vacation, Pre-Baby

I live in NY and my wife is 7 1/2 months pregnant. We just bought a house and over the past four months, we have been under a tremendous amount of stress with house problems. We would very much like to take our last vacation as a couple without any children.

I would like to exclude anywhere we have to fly because of my wife's condition (max of five hour drive from NYC area). By the way, IF we were to fly, we would pick Bermuda or Sanibel/Capital Island, FL;

I would like to go somewhere scenic and very relaxing;

Need to have good restaurants;

Beach is not a requirement nor is it a deterrent;

We've been to Newport, RI and we enjoyed that (especially the New England Clam Chowder). We've been to the Berkshires in Massachusetts and was just okay with that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated (don't have much time to do my own research - you know, with the house and all)!

Ed

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:38 PM
vanessa

Ed - the first thing that popped into mind while reading your post was Newport...then I saw you had already been. Can you take a train? Perhaps then Montreal?

If not, how about a drive through Vermont, staying at B&B's. Or Nantucket/Cape Code area would be nice as well. How about Washington DC?

As for the car ride - make sure you stop frequently. It's very important latter in pregnancy to move your legs to avoid any blood clots, etc. Not to mention bladder issues!

Enjoy your babymoon, wherever it may be!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Ed

How long would a train ride to Montreal take? I think it might be too long if the drive takes 8 hours. It might be a good idea because of the strength of the American dollar versus the Canadian dollar.

Washington DC sounds like a trip that would not be as relaxing because there are so many sites to see.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are things about Cape Cod and Nantucket that attract people to come? Is it like Newport, Rhode Island? How far of a drive from NYC?

We've also enjoyed a day trip to Mystic, CT. Now we are looking for a 3 night trip somewhere.

I would love to take a short flight somewhere (like Florida) but I don't want to take any chances with my pregnant wife.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:21 AM
no way

I can't picture your wife waddling around at these scenic locations and enjoying herself. Buy her a lazy boy and a bag of potato chips.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:24 AM
nina

Ed, Most people like the Cape and Nantucket better than Newport. More charm, more scenic beauty, gorgeous beaches.

If you want to save a bit of money go after labor day MID-WEEK if possible. The rates are still high on the weekends but drop considerably mid-week in the fall.

Another alternative is Lake Champlain, Burlington Vermont, very pretty. Saratoga Springs, the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes (someone just did a trip report, I haven't been there since my childhood, but it sounds as nice as I remember), Rockport and Newburyport, Mass.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:27 AM
nina

Also, very close is Litchfield Hills in CT. Lake Waramaug is nice, Hopkins Vineyard (yeah, a few sips of wine at this late stage is fine. As my OB/GYN sister-in-law says, go ahead, that baby's done), Kent, Litchfield, etc.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:27 AM
as

My wife and I had a baby 2 months ago, and did a trip similar to yours. The key considerations:

1. Drive..... That way, you have total control if you need to stop for an hour, eat, bathroom, etc.
2. Do Not...Do Not.. Go to a desination where you need to walk alot. My wife and I actually went to Manhattan, enjoyed the restaurants and relaxing in a 4 star hotel... but we ended up catching a cab for even a 2 block ride.

How about Maine? Ogunquit and Wells are worth checking.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:37 AM
lisa

What about the fingerlakes region? You said the Berkshires were just okay, so this might not be up your alley. You could try the Mohonk Lodge -- it's a full-service resort and they have a website.

You could also try a long weekend in the Hamptons. They are likely booked up until Labor Day, but after Labor Day there might be some vacancies.

I think the Cape and Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket might be just the ticket. What is there to do there? beaches, cute shopping, quaint towns, bike riding (okay, not your wife), good restaurants, whale watching, art galleries, lobsters, etc. I would suggest you stay in Chatham and think about a day-trip to either the Vineyard or Nantucket.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:46 AM
X

MARTHA'S VINEYARD!!!!!! Stay at a very luxurious B&B, eat at nice restaurants, enjoy the scenery, relax on beach. No hustle and bustle, no problems!

the continental

Have you considered returning to the site where you first knocked her up?

ken

Ed,
Why not take a cruise to Bermuda from either NY or Boston. My wife was 5 months pregnant with twins back in 2000 when we went on our Caribbean cruise. We wanted to take a big trip before the babies were born, and we had a great time! Good luck!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:50 AM
carly

Have you considered St. Michael's, MD? It is a great town on the Chesapeake with incredible dining options. I have been twice and we first stayed at Inn at Perry Cabin, which was out of this world and the restaurant is not to be missed. The 2nd time we stayed at a lower key B and B that was half the price. It is a great town to relax in and enjoy the Masryland crabs.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:52 AM
nina

A new Hyatt resort is opening in Chesapeake too, It looks very nice and is opening August 29th. They have great introductory rates.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Ed

As far as going back to where conception occurred, that wouldn't be far as it was at home.

Maine (Ogunquit and Wells) sounds a bit far of a drive for my wife.

A cruise to Bermuda is probably out of the question. There is not a lot of flexibility with a cruise and my wife could be only two weeks from deliverying. We want the ability to get back quickly. In addition, I get sea-sick.

I don't know much about MD - what is there to do in St. Michaels / Chesapeake area? The Hyatt resort sounds like a good idea (just relaxing at the spa) but it opens on August 29th, which is a week before the scheduled delivery date. Any other resort ideas?

Keep the suggestions coming. Much appreciated!

Ed

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:39 AM
gail

Others are giving far better specific suggestions than I could offer, but I think that you should avoid Martha's Vineyard or cruise since medical attention would be more distant than would be comforting to most first time expectant mothers.

As far as scenic, most women at 8-9 months (since she is 7 1/2 now and you mentioned something about maybe delivering in 2 weeks - I am not sure what that is all about) are not up for sightseeing. Have you considered a very close-by resort type place where you can sit, swim, maybe use a spa, eat good food either at resort or nearby restaurants, get room service, sleep late without carpenters arriving early to begin work on your house.

Good luck with your house and pregnancy. Having a kid does not force you to house-arrest for the next 18 years. It just makes travel different.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:48 AM
sn

Gail, you're being ignorant--Martha's Vineyard has a wonderful hospital on the Island with a great ob/gyn department, hardly the same as being stuck on a cruise ship.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Ed

My wife is expected to deliver on Sept. 8th. What I meant was, at the time of our vacation, it could be two weeks from the delivery date (e.g., August 25th).

Yes, I am considering a resort where we can just relax in the spa and go to good restaurants. Anyone with suggestions on resorts (e.g., romantic without too many noisy kids)?

Thanks for the advice.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Sue

How about the place in the Poconos with the champagne glass whirlpools?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Michelle

Not very far, but very, very nice. How about the Inn at National Hall in Westport, CT? Very luxurious. Their website is innatnationalhall.com. Good luck with everything!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Nycer

Ed,
--We live in NYC and are going to the Inn at Sawmill Farm this weekend. The food is supposed to be excellent (b-fast & dinner included) along with an amazing wine list. It is located in southern vermont.
--I also heard Lake Placid Lodge is very nice, though it is about a 5 hour drive.
--How about the Sagamore on Lake George?
--check out the Relais & Chateaux website for wonderful inns & hotels in the NE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -