Do NOT Stay at Shutters in LA

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Matt

Do NOT Stay at Shutters in LA

This hotel has a beach-front location but nothing else. The rooms are over-priced and nothing special and the service was the worst I have ever encountered. They have a pervasive attitude that says "We don't need you." For example, on one occasion, I cancelled a reservation only to be charged a $400 NO SHOW fee -- something, as a frequent business traveler, I have never experienced. Then when I attempted to resolve the situation, I was told that since I was not a frequent guest there was nothing that could be done? Try the Casa Del Mar next door or others. There are much better choices in the same area with better, newer amenities and service.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:52 AM
xxx

Hate to tell ya...Casa Del Mar is same owners.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Susan

I have been interested in staying at Shutters in the past but could not believe the rates. It did seem to be exorbitant. I wonder if anyone has felt it was worth it?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:15 AM
chef

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Matt, but that doesn't mean it won't for someone else. I doubt your one man boycott will have much effect.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Anon

Actually that is why this board is great. I want to hear the bad and good and I do take note. Word of mouth can be very effective.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:21 AM
what

Chef's comment is inane.

If Matt's isn't supposed to give an opinion about a place he's actually been to, then why does this board exist?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Anon

Matt if you do a search you'll find that I have absolutely RAILED against Shutters on the Beach on numerous occasion in the past.
This place is waaaay over rated.
It has a great location.
It has nice public areas.
That's it.
I was upgraded twice to a large suite and IMO it was worth about $225/night tops. I think the rack rate on it was around $850.
I won't reiterate my past complaints except to say that I travel a lot, and stay at a lot of very nice hotels.
This place is a huge disappointment.
It survives because of location, location, location.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:15 PM
kam

We liked Shutters two years ago. It's supposed to be a beach house feel so I wouldn't expect grand furnishings. And, the location is unbeatable. But, there is also Loew Santa Monica, and while Casa del Mar might be the same ownership, the ambience of the hotel is totally different. Never had a complaint about the service.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Thyra

I live in LA and frequently book hotels for execs and VIP's out here from the East Coast. I would never consider Shutters. The place I love is Le Merigot... divine! And much better restaurant and level of customer service IMHO>

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Little

I guess I'm a little confused. You write the following: "For example, on one occasion, I cancelled a reservation only to be charged a $400 NO SHOW fee -- something, as a frequent business traveler, I have never experienced."

Yet, despite this experience, you went ahead and booked yourself a room again. If I had been charged $400 for a room cancellation fee, I would have never been a fool to go back again.

When will some people learn?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:28 PM
hadtoask

Uh, don't you mean the Shutters in Santa Monica????

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Cheech

Is there a difference between LA and Santa Monica?
Aren't they all part of the same metropolitan cesspool?