Dixie Stampede or Comedy Barn--Pigeon Forge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge next weekend. We have 4 children (7-15) and are thinking about seeing a show. Has anyone been to both the Comedy Barn and Dixie Stampede, and which do you recommend? Also, would love comments or ideas on restaurants, Cades Cove, Sunday Brunch, etc.

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:19 AM

We took our granddaughter to the Dixie Stampede several years ago - she was 9 and she loved it. The food is not great (its all you can eat and you eat with your fingers.) Haven't been to the Comedy Barn so can't really compare. I do think most children enjoy the Dixie Stampede. Cades Cove is a beautiful drive and places to stop and see old barns, farms etc. Apple Barn Inn (I think its called) is a very good place to eat in Pigeon Forge - did not find too many good places to eat in Gatlinburg. My Granddaughter really enjoyed Dollywood and we did as well.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

topping--anyone else?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 11:52 AM
iceeu2

Hi Tracy...Both are very good, but our grandchildren (ages 5&6) love the Comedy Barn. The first time I went, I thought it would be corney, but it is absolutely hilarious. I'm not sure of the age limit, but children get in free with paying adults...Now, where they get you is on the photos..and videos...t shirts,,etc...
Produced by the same group as the Comedy Barn is The Black Bear Jamboree...it is a dinner show and very good entertainment also. Children also get in free here and the food is pretty decent. When we took the kids to both places my husband remarked at how surprised he was that the entertainment was so good.
The kids have the videos from both The Comedy Barn and The Black Bear Jamboree and watch them repeatedly. It has been worth the money spent for them.
It has been a number of years since we went to Dixie Stampede, but as I remember it was very good. However, I think for the $'s spent..Black Bear Jamboree is better.
As for restaurant recommendations...Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg restaurants are overpriced and not so great...Some of the places we like are...The Apple Barn and Santos Italian...Corky's is good for BBQ..our very favorite is The Log Cabin Pancake House in Pigeon Forge....not for pancakes(but they serve a ton so they must be good), but for their Sunday lunch buffet...It is a very limited buffet..fried chicken(close to being as good as Mother used to fry), country ham...and another meat that is excellent...usually about 4 veggies....a small salad bar with deviled eggs on Sunday and also on Sunday they have banana pudding!!! Yummy!! It's gone to completely non-smoking...and is cash...is usually about $10pp on Sunday, I think.
I have been told The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge is good, but can't testify to that....
In Gatlinburg, The Burning Bush used to be great for their Bountiful Breakfasts..the name has changed (same ownership as it has been)..owned by the same group that owns The Apple Barn. In Gatlinburg, stay away from The Open Hearth...we had dinner there a few weekends ago and it was just medicore...A lot of people like the Italian restaurant at the back of The Elks Plaza...
Have fun.....if you go to Dollywood,,,the food there is pretty good at all of the places!

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Our 2 grand kids, ages 10 & 13 enjoyed the Comedy Barn-the jokes were sort of "corney" but not "off color"
They also loved Shoney's food---Now I know it is not gourmet but they liked being able to choose and go back for seconds and had great pies..
Cades ove is notorious for traffic jams--be sure to set out EARLY..
Have fun....
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. So you think that the Dixie Stampede is not worth the money? Perhaps we will try the Black Bear Jamboree or Comedy Barn? Anyone else seen these?
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:56 AM

The show we saw in PF was the Ole Smoky Hoedown. It was excellent (not a dinner theater).

The above poster refers to "Best Italian Restaurant" in Elks Plaza in G'burg (very good) & No Way Jose's for great Mexican food.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM

No offense to anyone else, but i think the dixie stampede is one of the best things about the smokies and pigeon forge we go every time we vacation there!And I think its worth every cent! The food has always been good when we have went but i think some people disagree because of the no silvereware thing, But you have to go at least once its great! Also love the comedy barn its really funny and my wife and i enjoyed it and it is a good place for kids. Also worth the money but not sure about repeat visits because i dont know how often the show changes. The black bear jamboree was ok we saw the christmas show in 2003 and it was pretty good but too loud and the food wasnt that good but the show itself was very entertaining. As for the OLD MILL! my wife and i visit it at least twice during every visit and will continue to do so it is great country down home cooking! We are heading back to the smokies the first week of May and plan to do some new things if anyone has any info on Country Tonite, Ole smokey hoedown and smokey mountain jubilee please let me know!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:29 AM
iceeu2

Tracy...did you have fun in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge....tell us what you did.
Thumperisjosh...I love the Country Tonite show...very talented young people. Have seen both the regular show and the Christmas show and loved them both. Haven't been to the others you inquired about. Their website has $2 off coupons...I think several of the books up there have buy one get one free tickets for Country Tonite.

Old May 9th, 2004, 06:12 PM

I'm a reader and wanted to see if anyone had anydates on Comedy Barn or Dixie Stampede. I'm going to Knoxville with seven 10-11year olds to a world creative problem solving competition (many parents are going to). We've got Thursday 5/27/04 as a free day and looking for something fun to do besides Dollywood or the Water Park. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:07 AM

ttt
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:15 AM
maj

I would spend the day in the Great Smokey Mountain Park and then go to one of the above for dinner.