Disneyworld - which accommodation?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:55 PM
leonie

Disneyworld - which accommodation?

Message: My husband and I and kids (3 & 7) will be at dwd for 4 nights in October. We are Aussies so our cost is nearly double when converted. We need to book soon and are hoping for some feedback. Our options are limited due to lateness of booking. Our choices are:

Boardwalk Villas
Beach Club Villas
2 interconnecting rooms @ all-Star movies resort
Cabin @ Fort Wilderness Resort

Would love to hear if anyone has stayed at any of these places.

Thanx, Leonie

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Duane

Hi Leonie,
I have stayed at all of these but the Beach Club Villas. I bet the prices for the 2 All Stars rooms is by far the cheapest. The rooms are not that great, just basic motel rooms decorated in Disney. But, we stay there a lot. Just being surrounded by Disney is what it is all about when you go. If you are only going to be there 4 days, these rooms are more than enough.

But, if money is not an issue, the other options are better.
Enjoy,
Duane

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Gail

The Boardwalk Villas and the Beach Club Villas are both very conveniently located. You could actually walk to Epcot and MGM from those hotels. They have boat service to Epcot and MGM and bus service to Animal Kingdom and to the Magic Kingdom. There are fun acitivies on the boardwalk which is a short walk from Beach Club and is right in from of the Board Walk Villas.
For a lot of information on Disney try going to www.disboards.com
Also for ideas to save money try www.mousesavers.com
also www.wdwig.com

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:06 PM
rick

We stayed at the All Star Sports, all the All Stars are the same. The rooms are tiny, but two of them gives you two bathrooms and is still cheaper than one suite at the other hotels. Lots of kids at the All Stars, they'll love it. The food is cheaper there too.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Alan

Hi, Leonie!
We are Aussies, too, and we did this last December... and I bet that money IS an issue for you, because the Aussie dollar's no better now than it was then!
We stayed at the All-Star Resorts.... we chose Broadway, but if cost-saving is on the agenda, Movies would have been preferable because you can walk to a McDonalds which is just near the entrance... it's probably expensive by McDonalds standards, but possibly not by Disney's!
There are often cheap offers on Disney accommodation, so do check www.orlandotripplanner.com and see what the latest postings are. Our room for 4 cost us $US59, which was quite good (although it went as low as $49 at one stage), but we foolishly didn't take much food in with us, and, with no car, were forced to eat Disney for three days. Disney thinks that $US1.80 plus tax for a banana is "family prices". I hear things are even steeper at the more luxurious resorts.... not that there's anything primitive about the All-Stars! It's a little better than "basic motel", really.
The best reason to stay on a Disney property is surely the transport into the various theme parks... that's so easy it is certainly worth paying for Disney accommodation, and their "family" accommodation, in this regard, is exactly as good as the up-market resorts.
Have a great time (we did!)

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Sylvia

The All stars are the least expensive hotel-running around $60-70/night. The rooms are small and there are only food courts available for food, but the kids may like the look. If you have the money, I would try the Beach Club Villas. It's an excellent location (as was mentioned) and you may be able to book a one bedroom villa with a full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Buying your own groceries and cooking can save some money. Beach Club also has a great pool. But the All Star pool is fun also.
The Cabins are also a perfect middle of the road - about $150, but they have kitchens and are close to Magic Kingdom (bus or boat)
This site has pictures and info about the rooms: http://www.wdwig.com/contents.htm
Have a excellent time

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Marjorie

Also www.ourlaughingplace.com has alot of photos of the resorts. Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Ellen

Have you checked availability at www.disneyworld.com ? You could probably get into a moderate, Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter? or even Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:35 AM
xx

If you stay inside Disney, in addition to the 11% tax, there is a $7.00 per night Resort Service Fee for the room.