cheap, quality hotel for Disney stay

May 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

cheap, quality hotel for Disney stay

My family and I are going to Disney in August, and would like a relatively cheap place to stay that is still of decent quality. I hear it is cheaper to stay off of Disney property, is this true?
May 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM

If you're talking Disney World Orlando, take a look at LaQuintaInnLakeside.com
May 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Yes, are you talking about the original property in California or the vastly-expanded "sequel" in Florida? If you mean the original, whose 50th anniversary is being celebrated all this year, off-property is probably going to be your best bet. The Candycane Inn, despite the twee name, is a perennial favorite of Disney fans, so I'd start there. Staying out of Anaheim is more pleasant IMHO, but it will cost you more.
May 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM
JJ5

There are books of information on this and it seems there are two camps on this issue. I have done both, with grandchildren, and with children in various eras. Disney property transportation is good and I would opt for on property myself. If you do a search here for Disney, you will get loads of threads upon this subject.

Park hopping and many other features, like early entry, are just so much more time saving than commuting to the parks. And you can rest in the hot of the August afternoon or go for a swim quite easily on property.

This is true for the Universal Parks as well. We would stay "in park" for the days it took to see both, and use the fast pass system.

These Disney lodgings are constantly changing as are off property options. Cheap and quality both are very subjective descriptions. All levels exist in both. It would help if you would put a dollar amount on your "cheap", and a description or equivalent of your "quality".

On these boards what different posters think of as cheap varies greatly. All Sports and that level designation of Disney property sites are decent and cheap- but most here would say generic surroundings and too thin walls.

Caribbean Beach/ Port Orleans/ Dixie Landings a step up in better quality. I liked these rooms, but didn't care much for food courts within them. I've also stayed Animal Kingdom and would not do this again. This park was just too far from the others to hop for events quickly. Others love it.

Off property has 100's of options. I bought several books each time we went.
One time we stayed at a Marriott Resort with golf course access with our own townhouse, pool, full dining room and shuffleboard court (won this stay as a raffle prize). Lovely, but the time getting up and back to parks or venues changed the entire vacation.

Disney property options are not expensive on every level by any means.
A lot depends on what kind of vacation you want- and if you want to go to Universal or Sea World or any of the other Orlando features.

Excellent quality and perfect location to me is Boardwalk,Y.Club, etc.- anything behind EPCOT in the Disney village.

Off property on International there are many- extremely reasonable hotels and these will run the scale from cheap to cheap, cheap in August.
Jun 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM

You are definately going to find cheaper hotels off of Disney property. I have stayed in the Days Inn Maingate and it was a decent hotel. We had a problem with the toilet and they sent someone up right away to fix it, so their maintenance staff is very timely. It's also right next to Old Town which has a bunch of shopps and rides, so that's something to do outside of Disney as well.
Jun 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

Go to Mousesavers.com and find the discount codes for Disney properties. I usually got the Disney All Star Music, All Star Movies, or Disney Pop Century Resort for $49 per night.

You can't beat staying on Disney Property at a Disney resort.